1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply to full time.

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrjack, Jul 14, 2019.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

HI all,
    After how many years of constant supply do you think you become labelled as a supply teacher and no longer considered for long term full time posts ?
    Iv'e been teaching over twenty years, prior to 2016 my last two roles were four years and five years. Since 2016 my career has gone off the rails, short term contracts / long term supply, and day to day supply. Now top of the payscale UPS 3.
    Finding something full time is proving very difficult.

DexterDexter likes this.
  2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It must be demoralising for you. I assume you are applying and not being offered the posts? If it's a question of no posts being available, then not much anyone can do to help, I'd think.
    Without giving too much information away, what were the reasons for your career going off the rails three years ago? Ill health? family reasons? A job move which didn't work out? Is there anything you can do to present this in a better manner?
    What feedback are you getting after interviews? Is there anything there which might help?
    You are a costly teacher. Salary is now negociable. I hesitate to suggest this, but you are clearly managing at the moment on less money that full time UPS3 would bring in. Are you prepared to state that you might be open to a lower salary for the sake of the right job? (I don't like this as an idea, but I am not in your position. It depends how desperate you are.)
    Next term there will be posts advertised again. Is there anyone who you could show your CV and/or application form and/or letter to so that it can be as good as possible?
    Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. mrjack

It is very demoralising. I was bullied out of a role / took redundancy in the end but struggled as they black balled me for a few counties and made it very difficult to move on. I was the first victim, two others have been through the same since. There are few jobs where I am which is part of the problem, my subject is not really in high demand and of course the cheaper option is often preferred. Supply is not exactly doable as there is increasing use of cover supervisors, HLTA's and assistants to cover what used to be a trained teachers job. How the unions have allowed this to happen I will never know.
    I don't think I interview really well either as I'm not full of it and just get on with the job and do it.

DexterDexter and agathamorse like this.
  4. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi mrjack,

After that demoralising experience , i can imagine that it has also taken a long time to get over...

In addition to what @mothorchid suggested, I would add that you find someone to support you with interview practice.

All the best,
    Bukky

mrjack and mothorchid like this.
  5. mrjack

Thanks to the respondents so far.
    So the question remains, after how long on supply contract / day to day does it become very difficult to get a full time job.

6. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I think the answer to your question will vary according to where you are in the country, subject, age phase etc and where you are on the pay scale.
    As a primary teacher on the UPS I'd expect to struggle for a permanent post the second I started supply. When I was in that position I applied for quite a few posts but didn't get them I've only got a permanent post now because one of the schools where I did supply employed me - on a temporary basis initially but then permanent.
    If I taught maths or science in a part of the country with huge shortages I'd expect to be able to do supply for as long as I felt like it.
    It's a positive if you're getting interviews. It would be useful to know who you're losing out to - NQTs, teachers currently in post etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. mrjack

I'm UPS3 not really a shortage subject but I am adaptable and able to teach more than one area.
    My best bet is for something to develop from Supply at a particular school. Very few jobs advertised where I live, rural area., jobs for life etc

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Remember you aren’t ups 3. You aren’t anything. The school can and will offer you whatever they want. On the plus side, you do have the ability to make clear in letters that whilst you were ups in your last school you are happy to come down the pay scale to find a new job

agathamorse likes this.