1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by BYusuf, Oct 3, 2016.

1. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

If possible, shop around with the agencies to find out what their daily rates are.

When I did supply, there were three of us from three different agencies in the same department and we compared 'notes'. I had the highest daily rate which the other agencies then matched when complaints were raised.

I later found out that my agency was taking more than their fair share and was able to negotiate more for my daily rate.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I don't know how you manage to get a straight answer from any agency on this question? Impressed that it's at all possible. Even estate agents give straighter answers!
    Absolutely agree with this, but RE 'complaints were raised' can't the agency come back at you with "Your contract with us forbids you discussing pay rates"? This is not a disagreement but I'd have taken the approach of not mentioning Your Rate but still pushing upwards.
    Again how? Did you butter up the Cover Organiser?
    Also did your conversation with the agency invoke this knowledge and lead into the same "Your contract with us forbids you discussing pay rates"?

I agree with all of this and apply it whenever possible but I would like to know the fine details if possible.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Polka_Dots

Polka_Dots New commenter

I have just started supply work and currently work for two agencies. My daily rate differs depending on if it is a council school or an academy. An academy pays me less than M1 even though I have over 10 years experience. I can turn down the academy ones if they are too far away as it isn’t worth the money. I’ve only had about 2 days work per week and I’m hoping it picks up as I’ve only been working for about a month. I’m doing supply until a permanent job comes up after some time away travelling. Good for a stop gap but want to actually teach again!

agathamorse likes this.