1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kerryel1, Feb 12, 2016.

1. kerryel1

kerryel1 New commenter

I am looking at possibly moving to Dorset in the summer and don't want to get a full time teaching job to begin with. I was thinking about doing supply but have heard that if you sign on with an agency, you are not covered by terms and conditions that you would be if you signed up with the local authority or schools themselves. Also, that pension contributions are not made if you go through an agency. Does anyone know if Dorset local authority use supply teachers or if everything is tendered out to agencies now?
    Any advice anyone has regarding supply would be very gratefully received!
    Thanks

2. teslagirls1

teslagirls1 New commenter

I did the same , moving into a new area and deciding it was easier to do supply initially. Signed up to several agencies which you need to to get enough work. It's a great way to find out about schools and ones you want to work in and those to avoid! Ofsted reports are not always best indicator of what schools are like! Supply is a great way to get your foot into the door and leads to schools offering you more permanent work. Go for it!

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You could contact the council and ask them.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Over on the Supply Forum you will find there is a New to Supply thread plus lots more for anyone considering supply. As regards Dorset in particular, contact the Council and ask.