1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teaching?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by schoolsout4summer, Oct 2, 2015.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Thinking about Supply Teaching? Got your A levels? Done four years at uni and got a decent degree? Perhaps you may even have 10, 20 or 30+ years of teaching experience. No matter. If you enjoy working for low pay*, with no benefits and no security at all, then Supply Teaching could be just the job for you. Go for it !

*Very, very low pay, if you average it out over the year.

emmalcm1 likes this.
  2. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

Indeed! I had it out with an agency this week after they tried to pay me an even lower figure than usual for an afternoon's cover supervisor work (that's another thing that annoys me when I'm a qualified teacher!) without informing me. They claimed the particular school I was in had put pressure on them to send people cheaper or they would switch agencies. When questioned about the wrong amount being logged into their system (I found out by receiving an email), they corrected it because I hadn't been told. I explained to them that it was not worth my time and petrol to go somewhere for the sake of earning £25 (minus tax). I have now had to set a minimum pay level with them that I am prepared to go somewhere for. They responded by telling me they know how I feel because they're trying to squeeze them down too. I mean are you joking?! You care about nothing but yourselves and how much commission you're making!

3. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Thinking about supply teaching? Don't want all the stress of a regular teacher- the planning, the book scrutinies, the lesson observations, staying in school every night until 6pm, the jumping through hoops etc etc? Then supply teaching is just the job for you! Go for it! I love it!

4. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

May be a low wage over the year, but hour for hour, the wage is better (me thinks). Yes? No?

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only if you really get enough work though.

6. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

Personally I'd rather have the stress of marking and observations than the anxiety of not knowing what I'm going to be facing each day and the stress of never knowing what I'm going to earn! It depends what you're after I suppose and I can see that it might suit some people but I hate supply.

Only if you get work from agencies/ schools who are actually prepared to pay you a decent wage! More and more now schools are only willing to pay people (especially in secondary) as cover supervisors. I don't even earn enough to live on really, it's just a good job that my husband has a permanent full time job, or we'd be sunk!

7. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I remember my last term as a supply. Not knowing whether I'd have enough money to get to my next job. Hideous

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Many agencies have 'rationalised' secondary supply to just one grade, called 'facilitator', or something equally meaningless, which amalgamates TA, CS and QTS roles. The rate of pay for this is about £40 - 50 per day; one offers an hourly rate of £8! This is not just for day-2-day but also for longer terms. That the supply is expected to actually teach is given away by agencies seeking facilitators in specific subjects, such as AS and A2 chemistry.

9. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

At this end of the school year, there isn't a lot of day to day, ad hoc cover work for agency staff. In my region (East Anglia) a lot of the work on offer seems to be long-term.
    If you accept a long term cover, doing the full job, you have every right to ask for a much higher daily rate as you are doing the same as the full time staff. Ask before you start since you might find that at 12 weeks, either the school or the agency will drop you once your entitlement to full pay appears and you in good faith plodded on assuming you would just get it. This is, as has been said before, a dog eat dog, sales job. You are selling yourself. You are not a teacher, you are a human resource, for sale. So get a good deal.
    It is vital that supply teachers check what kind of contract they have agreed to. If you have agreed to a guaranteed work/guaranteed pay contract, more often than not you have agreed to accept lower pay, go to every assignment, no matter how dire or how far away and you will definitely never get your AWR rights because you signed them away.
    Look out for the phrase "Clause 10" or "Swedish Derogation" in any contract. If your agency has not shown you a written contract, ask for a copy. Don't agree to anything until you have spoken to your union. You could really shoot yourself in the foot by being too obliging.