1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching without completing induction

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Pugwash, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Pugwash

Pugwash New commenter

I wonder if you can clear this up for me.

I qualified with a PGCE and QTS in 2005 and up until 2009 I tried really hard to complete induction but due to health and personal issues at the time this didn't happen.
    I left education and worked as process chemist in a factory until 2014 during which time I continued to wonder about returning to teaching and even completed a level 4 PTLLS. My health issues were sorted by 2012 and in 2014 I returned to supply teaching science for the summer term. Since then I've been doing some teaching and educational support work in a new academy.
    Now I'm teaching maths by supply in a PRU and I love it.
    But I'm wondering where I stand legally . The agency is aware of my background.

I assume I still have QTS as it is never taken away but currently the school I'm at is LA governed although it will likely join the list of academies in the near future.
    Are the rules the same....I can teach in an academy or free school but not LEA schools?
    Do I retain qts? And I have no intention of completing induction now as I went through hell during the worst 5 years of my life which still fills me with dread when I think back to how I was treated.

Any advice or info I should be aware of?
    I've read the statutory regs but it only refers to teachers qualified from 2007 onwards. I assume these regs apply to those who gained qts in 2005 too?

Thanks for any replies.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

4. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Pugwash

I have sent a PM with some advice for you on the matter and I hope this helps.