1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teaching through an Agency...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bentley89, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Bentley51

Bentley51 Occasional commenter

I have read many posts regarding the Finders Fee that unfortunately comes with Supply Agencies...

I do however, have a few unanswered questions:

1) Is it within our rights to resign completely from the agency, therefore leaving the agreement and the 6 month 'Finder Fee Time' invalid?

2) If I were to tell an agency that I no longer want to work for them, how long would I have to wait until all ties with them are officially cut?

I am nervous about getting involved with an agency, but unfortunately I need to start earning, and full-time permanents are hard to come by these days :(

Thank you in advance for any help you may give...

2. I don't know for sure as I haven't been in the position but I would expect that if you have done any work through an agency that if you get offered a job at one of the schools they have introduced you to then they can claim a finders fee within 6 months whether you have resigned or not. Obviously you would resign if you got a permanent job. Remember that it is the school that will pay the finder's fee not you personally.
    These days, in most authorities now, if you want work you have to go through an agency. if you're just starting out on the supply road explore whether your authority still deals with supply directly, a few still do. See whether approaching schools directly can get you work because that will then be paid to scale.
    Working through an agency is better than not working at all.
    Good luck. Pay rates suck through agencies and are getting worse.