1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching through agency or go direct to schools.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by rhiannonbrown, Mar 24, 2019.

1. rhiannonbrown

rhiannonbrown New commenter

I am thinking of doing supply work from September and am wondering if any experienced or/and knowledgeable people out there can advice me. Do I register and go with a teaching agency or do I contact schools direct leaving my details with them? I do hear that supply jobs are scarce at the moment with schools preferring to cover with individuals in-house. Also what rates of pay would I expect-I do realise this would vary but an average amount of someone who is an experienced (UPR) teacher. I would be looking for primary (nursery to year 6) and in South Cumbria. Thanks in advance.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I can advise you on the following points:

You are always going to be far better off applying to schools directly and not using agencies. This will,however, involve you in more work but in the end if you can get work this way you will be able to keep most of the money you earn.

Make a list of all the schools within the distance you are prepared to travel to and the ones where you think will have decent conditions in terms of behaviour. Write to the school's cover manager or call schools to find who to direct your enquiry to. Set out your experience, your unique skills, and availability with CV. Don't worry about the rate or how you will get paid since you can sort that out later. The school will sort out what you need to do to get paid. I am not sure about the rate but it would depend if you are doing day to day or long term where planning etc is involved. It is usually negotiable.

As a back up plan, if the schools say they only use agencies then ask them which agencies they prefer in terms of professionalism and reliability etc. Then go online and try to find out reviews for any agencies you consider using. There are some agencies you will want to avoid because of their unethical practices. We can't name agencies on here, but someone may see your post and send you a private message regarding good agencies near Cumbria.

Ensure you are in a union.

If you are successful in getting your own work without agencies then you could set up your own web site with a calendar etc.

It is definitely worth trying to get your own work even though it might be difficult.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Sensible advice from Pepper as usual. Regarding pay you could ask for M6 as UPS isn't portable. You might get M6, you might not. It depends on how many supply teachers are chasing work in your area and school budgets. You could find yourself in competition with NQTs and unqualified teachers especially for day to day work. In long term roles you're more likely to get a higher rate but schools don't need, at the moment, to pay you M6 equivalent until the 13th week of working for them. I was UPS, on supply I' d get between £110 and £130 a day for day to day and long term, only getting M6 equivalent after 12 weeks. I'm secondary MFL but have taught all ages from EYFS to year 13.

Happygopolitely, install and pepper5 like this.