1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teaching Rates

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by rachaelsav, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    I just want everyone elses opinions/help on this really:
    I'm a qualified NQT and have been signed up with an agency since July 2011 but havn't had much work, but low and behold today when im full of a cold and run down i get a phone call from them asking if i can do 3 days of TA work this week. Now, due to the fact that i've not had lots of work, i just said yes. I obviously was aware that the TA rates would be lower than those of a teacher. However it was only after she had told me the school and year group i would be in that she mentioned that this would also include Lunchtime Supervisor too just before she ended the phonecall. So she sent me the summary email containing the job details which are Wednesday & Thursday Full Day (Plus Lunchtime Supervisor), and Friday (Half day plus Lunchtime Supervisor). - Wednesday and Thursday both at full day rate £45 and Friday at half day rate £22.50.
    However, after thinking about this i've come to realise that £22.50 is below minimum wage (£6.02 per hour) as i will be working 8.30am - 1.30pm which averages out at £4.50 per hour or if they pay from 9am, £5 per hour.
    As i've already committed myself to the job i will obviously carry it out, but im fuming at the fact that this agency has even tried to get away with this.
    Has anybody else come across anything similar with agencies that you are with? And also i would be grateful if you could share the rates you get for various agencies for full day/part day work just to see if i should change agencies really?
    Thankyou.

2. I don't have any advice really but didn't want to read and run! That sounds terrible!!! Have you spoken to the agency???