1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching, pensions and pathetic unions .....

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Twinklefoottoe, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

So, reading my diary notes, I see that we are nearly at the 15 year mark, where the unions are saying (in various ways) that they are currently negotiating with the Government to get supply teachers included in the teacher's pension scheme.

I think this is a good example of:

A) just how ineffective and irrelevant teaching unions have become
    B) just how less-than-truthful the teaching unions have been about their efforts to change this situation.

If they were honest, they should say the Government doesn't listen to them, they can't do anything anyway, just forget the whole idea, and then remove the aim from the website. Let's be honest, there hasn't been any updates on this for over a decade, no progress, no nothing.

It makes you wonder what the Unions actually do.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A good post and largely agree but can I just check. Is your complaint:

a] against the Unions for failing to get supply teachers into the pension.
    b] against the government for keeping supply teachers out of the pension.
    c] a mix of the two so bash both?

When you've got 5-6 unions representing teachers, I'm not surprised successive governments have successfully kept supply teachers out of the pension... just play them off against one another.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you are employed in the LA pool of supply teachers (there are still a few left) then you do get teachers pension rights.