1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching is DEAD...reasons are obvious!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pedigree, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Supply teaching is not dying...it is actually dead!
    Practically all schools are currently using <u>huge</u> numbers of unqualified people as cover "teachers", plus totally unacceptable, unscrupulous actions e.g. collapsing classes into one huge "cover" room (80 plus pupils in one room!), sticking pupils in front of computers, handing out totally irrelevant worksheets etc etc etc when pupils need to be properly taught by fully registered and qualified teachers.
    The system is totally corrupted, broken and unsustainable.
    It needs a complete ministerial overhaul for the sake of everyone!
    Perhaps pupils, parents, teachers and fair minded members of the public and students may start a revolution...![​IMG]?

2. Supply teaching is not dying...it is actually dead!
    Practically all schools are currently using <u>huge</u> numbers of unqualified people as cover "teachers", plus totally unacceptable, unscrupulous actions e.g. collapsing classes into one huge "cover" room (80 plus pupils in one room!), sticking pupils in front of computers, handing out totally irrelevant worksheets etc etc etc when pupils need to be properly taught by fully registered and qualified teachers.
    The system is totally corrupted, broken and unsustainable.
    It needs a complete ministerial overhaul for the sake of everyone!
    Perhaps pupils, parents, teachers and fair minded members of the public and students may start a revolution...![​IMG]?

3. Dying, not dead is my experience. I have had 4 days work offered to me each of the past two weeks, but one day a week average this academic year before that. The spring term looks to be the peak time.
    I am pessimistic that the public will "care" that much that qualified teachers lose their jobs. Over the longer term, potential standards will drop, but that will take time to generate a wave of public opinion. This government plans to get the majority of schools to academies, in which unqualified staff may be appointed and be a way forward, so unless there are some high profile court cases, I doubt if the government will listen. More likely the government will tidy up the wording to make it clearly legal. ( But if schools have to shed staff in staffing cuts, maybe tas will be amongst that and give more opportunity for supply in primary).
    Apart from the NUT, the unions don't care, they are a willing party to this development, and on TES you'll find permanent staff, presumably union members, stating that if you walk through their schools, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a qualified teacher and someone not qualified. Just what the government will listen to.

4. So, the solution is to look at the curriculum, fine tune it and create "out of the box" lessons with built in assessment. Really get it black and white, then everyone can get A*s and all you would need in the room would be a "learning facilitator" to hand out materials, consult the laminated script sheet say "Sorry, that question is not apart of today's learning objectives" and that's that. Anyone who knows what "21st century science" is will know exactly the direction things could go.

Put the DVD in the interactive whiteboard, here are today's learning outcomes. Now, worksheet 1 is coming around and you over there can do exercise B instead, now, here are the answers *clicks mouse* right, boys, back to your student centred paper activity. A lot of schools are buying into this Naval style ****...Spencer Kagan....ahh yes, It's all coming back to me now. Vot hav ve lernt in todays lesn?

5. ..........I have a feeling that actual qualified teachers are expensive and unnecessary, given a highly specified, student centred scheme of "learning". First they got rid of supply teachers and in due course, you'll see them thin out regular staff. Why would you need anyone to understand concepts, construct them into student specific challenges which inspire and stretch students, when you can get all of that out of a folder? All you need is a person who can do crowd control really. That's probably where some really assertive language comes in with lots of choices and permissions........lol if it wasn't so tragic. Dumbing down folks, dumbing down.

6. Well done...at least your spirits are up?
    Down here in the SW and everywhere it's so depressing that many have thrown the towel in...despite numerous exhortations, job applications etc etc
    Even the agencies can't get anything for anyone...what a way to live?

7. Cutting the romance for a minute, I think the most sensible thing one can do is press the pause button and walk away from education completely, keep an eye on things and choose a sensible time to "enter the market" again. This would ideally be in an economic upturn when people are doing other things, money if flowing freely and it's a sellers market. This may take a while, but to participate is at worst misery making and at best, joining the zillions of other applicants in the hope of snagging some crumbs from the table....like a maternity leave. Whooopeee! Lucky old me!

Supply represented the ability to tread water and be in a position to swim right away.....if you get what I'm on about. It was an opportunity to get the inside edge, get known, get credible, get the job. It worked for me. Clearly, if it comes down to application forms, we'll first look at people with PhDs, then we'll start looking at x,y,z. It will be a CV builders paradise. But of course, this is "driving up quality". Without this "holding pool", I suspect the end result will be the positive discrimination towards student teachers. Let's face it, people don't like hiring strangers.....so I suppose we'll see shorter term contracts being given to (cheapest) staff....hey, that's what I used to see!

I noted the rebranding of Select Education to Randstad and thought "I know why that is, rats leaving a sinking ship". I wonder what they will do next, as sure as hell there isn't enough money to pay for that spangly big office. Unless they're whacking it on a credit card! There probably isn't enough money to pay a cleaner. Diversification, I suspect.

There is a lot of denial among supply staff and some are actually delusional. I really admire the grit and determination of some job seekers, however, there is only so much of that you can stand.

I suspect that heads are actively recruiting non-qualified staff for unqualified roles as I haven't observed any in any of the schools I've been in (lots). Tell a lie, there was one. I know that lots of QTs are applying for these posts. I gather that "other roles" in education are also totally oversubscribed

You either partake in the fiasco, or leave it well alone. I think the answer is pretty clear

8. my observations over the last few years. The implementation of CS has of course crucified us.
    Old schools have merged into one new school. With a purpose built cover centre. Three merged classes in a huge room with loads of PC.s and an electronic whiteboard and projector. The cover centres are manned by a teacher and a handful of TA's/Cs's
    Another issue is that schools have become very insular. With excessive CRB stuff and booking into a school very long winded. Hassle for us and hassle for the school. So the school likes outsiders even less than they used to.
    The big secondaries are becoming almost like closed shops. They promote their TA's to CS's

9. Utterly depressing...[​IMG] ...and the rot set in with new Labour with the coalition not batting an eyelid! Who wins????????? ...and the bureacrats at the GTCE sorting out their redundancy payments!

10. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Yes stuart is correct, I know that if i get a days teaching a month I am lucky and I know that it is only a matter of time that supply teacher will be like the sighting a dodo, a very rare sight indeed. Schools are recruiting the unqualified support staff to teach and work on supply, every agency says the same thing to me that schools only want TA's and CS, the agencies know my views on this issue. I have said this before and I will say it again, it is only a matter of time that it is the permanent teachers who are being replaced by these support staff. The government as set up a system that creates academies, who can use anyone to teach, next it is the free schools who have been told they can recruit anyone to teach. So supply teaching is in the I.C.U. waiting for Father Michael Gove to gave the last rites, sooner or later to be joined by many permanent teachers (in this I hope I am proved wrong).

11. "We will be doing everything possible to increase the esteem and prestige of the teaching profession"
    HOW?
    "We will not be setting overly prescriptive requirements in relation to qualifications"
    These are quotes from Michael Gove as answers to questions about the qualifications needed to teach in free schools and about the use of unqualified staff and unqualified teachers. I wonder if, like Nick Gibb, he knows the difference between the two.
    I now believe that the teaching as a profession and not just supply teaching, is being destroyed by incompetent politicians and civil servants.

12. I agree wholeheartedly with all of the comments made because it's JUST COMMON SENSE!
    I am an NQT trying to get a first job, thought be able to do supply to tide myself over, NO CHANCE; agency ring me only when they need someone to cover the odd day for one school, well i've decided they can *** off.
    I recall going for a (best of the bunch) maternity and being shown around the school where some dumb ass HOD thought it was great that they had created a big ICT room to shove kids when their teacher hadn't turned up; I jest not, it was like the black hole of calcutta, half the flippin' school were there no doubt surfing the net...
    After working my **** off to qualify as a teacher, I've now sniffed the air and it smells rotten, I'm off. I have even started to see why parents would send their children to private schools, which I didn't understand before I see the mess we're in.
    I begrudge the 30 quid I gave to the GTC, daft or what, and am astonished at how unmobilised the teaching unions are, hell the cutting of bloody EMA has generated more of a furore than the brutal clubbing given to the people best charged to support them.
    The vicious circle of inequality is continuing to get worse and I don't see how it will improve if state schools are putting **** quality 'teachers' in front of the kids; **** in, **** out.
    Adios

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The thing is - what is the conclusion?
    You are not going to get supply teachers if they cannot get any work. But at the same time, teachers will be ill for extended periods of time and a CS will not be able to do the work.

So what does a school do? Get a supply teacher. But no one wants to be a supply teacher because the CS has not made it worth being one.
    There should be a need for supply teachers to cover long term sickness. But no supply teacher is going to want to hang round without daily work whilst they wait for that elusive long term position.
    Schools are shooting themselves in the foot by eliminating day to day supply but wanting long term supply.

14. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Robyn
    Schools are now using CS and TA's to cover longer periods, some have been given their own permanent lessons. So even the traditional long-term contracts are at threat by the schools use of support staff. I urged 4 Labour MP's to put amendments to the Education Bill on tuesday, after they all claim to be concerned, did they. The answer they did not, that is why teaching as a profession is in terminal decline.

15. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Cover supervisors seem to have these permanent lessons because they are doing what they were originally employed to do............ to cover PPA time...... and that is static and the same each week. However, they now cover, daily sickness, short term illness which often goes into long term............. If its a graduate or someone with experience of the subject ........... Management seem to think ...... thats fine they can do the work. I question the insurance side of these positions.
    If I was a parent now and knowing what I know, I would be very concerned with the amount of cover lessons my children were getting in a week. Permanent teachers only have themselves to blame if they are still stressed to meet target grades without them overseeing the class every time standards and work slips to lower level.
    Teachers wanted more free time, they got it, BUT.... I suspect in a lot of cases they are even more stressed, especially with the pupils as effectively part of their learning is self directed and needs more monitoring than ever.

16. What an absolute, idiotic and unacceptable MESS!
    Would it have happened to the medical profession? NO. Only fully qualified and registered doctors would be covering for their colleagues!
    Would it have happened to the nursing profession? NO. Only fully qualified and registered nurses would be covering for their colleagues!
    Would it have happened to pharmacists? NO. Only fully qualified and registered pharmacists would be allowed to cover for their collleagues.
    Would it have been allowed to happen to other professions e.g. radiographers, lab technicians venepuncturists etc etc etc ? NO!
    So what is wrong with the teaching "profession" IN THIS BLOODY COUNTRY????????
    Why has teaching become one big DUSTBIN? Why have the TDA, GTCE, the unions etc etc just stood back? Sheer idiocy.

17. Read, post a comment and vote on the 38 Degrees website for qualified supply teachers:
    http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1424291-the-use-of-unqualified-staff-as-cover-teachers-i?ref=title