1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teaching in York/Yorkshire area & advice

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Annatar, Jul 17, 2018.

1. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I live close to the border with West Yorkshire and have done work in areas like Halifax and Huddersfield/Leeds area, and most schools are tough, in fact one school now closed had a two week waiting list for the inclusion unit, amazingly I had little trouble because most of the kids liked me.. However if you want to work in York/Sheffield area, the issues you would face is traffic, in that the M1 can be a nightmare and the roads into Sheffield from the motorway is generally busy, as is the centre with a lot of the schools based on the outskirts, with a few inside the centre. However it is a good area if you picked a semi rural area in between York/Leeds/Sheffield, it is beautiful in a dark northern way. In that you can get to areas like Leeds (tough to very tough schools), York, Sheffield, Barnsley and Wakefield, and parts of eastern Huddersfield like Dewsbury and Batley, so if you are prepared to drive their is work available in that you can cover a fair area.

In terms of agencies, I will send you an PM of some agencies who I believe are very strong in that area.

Ps as anyone received the phone call we have seen your CV on line and was wondering what you are doing in September yet.

2. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass Occasional commenter

There's nothing more mind-blowing than a stroll on the beach in winter - with no sand visible because it's snowed! Also, you can get parked anywhere, as the tourists stop flocking in when the weather turns. I love it there - it's my 2nd home.

agathamorse likes this.