1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teaching in York/Yorkshire area & advice

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Annatar, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Annatar

Annatar New commenter

Hi all

I am looking to re-locate to Yorkshire from Norfolk. I am principally looking to move to either York or Sheffield. Can anyone recommend a suitable and best supply teaching agencies in this area?

I am top of main payscale in a maintained school.
    My subject is History and Humanities, but I also have experience teaching English, KS3 Science and P.E.

If anyone could help with these questions it would be hugely appreciative.
    1. Should I consider ringing round local schools (once decided on a location) to ask who they deal with?
    2. What are the key questions to ask a supply agency about? So far I have: pay, tax (insist PAYE), amount of work offered. Is there anything else I should consider?
    3. Should I consider working/signing for one agency or join 2 or more? I've heard taxation gets complicated if you work for/flip between multiple agencies?

Many thanks

J

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi annastar

People can't name specific agencies on here, but they can send you a private message so look out for that.

Agencies have certain rates they pay and they don't consider what you are being paid currently.

In connection with your questions:

1. An excellent idea. Definitely contact the schools you want to work at and see if they might use you directly without going through an agency. If they won't hire you directly, ask which agencies they use.

2.. Definitely insist upon PAYE and find out your daily rate BEFORE you accept any assignments.

3. You need to use more than one agency. That way you have more chance of getting work. The tax is not complicated. You will have a tax code for the agency you work for the most. Then the second agency will use BR tax code. If you over pay tax, HMRC will give you a rebate at the end of the tax year for any tax you overpay. You can always call your localmtsx office for help as they are always helpful.

Don't let the tax matter put you off using than more agency.

All the best for supply and your move.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Opportunities for supply might be better in Sheffield, as you have pretty good rail and road link to lots of places in South & West Yorkshire, as well as Sheffield itself being bigger than York.

However, York is a substantially nicer place to live; I'd say one of the best places in the country.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

York is beautiful but expensive!

install and pepper5 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

....and has very few schools.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  6. PeterQuint

If you can travel, Leeds is fairly handy from York (or vice versa).

You can probably get to most large cities/towns in West Yorkshire from York in an hour.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The secondary schools in Leeds are not very good.

agathamorse and PeterQuint like this.
  8. PeterQuint

[MASSIVEUNDERSTATEMENT]The secondary schools in Leeds are not very good.[/MASSIVEUNDERSTATEMENT]

:D

agathamorse likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sadly the schools in my home town of Scarborough are pretty rubbish too.

I despair of the current situation of the school in which I was a pupil for example.

10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

In East Yorkshire there are plenty of schools that fall into the same category.

Of course there are a few good ones.

11. PeterQuint

Isn’t there a problem with ‘seaside towns’?

agathamorse likes this.
  12. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Some areas of West Yorkshire are ideal for travelling into other areas, if you choose wisely and property prices will be way cheaper than York for certain. If you base yourself on the M62/A1 corridor you are ideally situated for living in places such as Pontefract, Castleford (Wakefield LA) or Rothwell or Methley (Wakefield/Leeds LA), Normanton or Altofts (Wakefield LA) but you have the ability to travel quite a distance within 30/40 minutes into Barnsley / Doncaster / Halifax / North Yorkshire / East Riding / York areas depending on where you living in the first place.

I myself went on supply in September, I joined two agencies in Leeds City Centre (on which got me ALL my supply work from October and eventually a long-term contract. which has led to a permanent role for September 2018. (Primary sector) Experience tells me that work is very lean in September (no work) then just before Oct half-term things began picking up. I was working around a 3 day week (sometimes by choice, often turning work away) but I was re-booked weekly by a MAT and worked in several of their schools. One agency was responsible for supply all teachers within their MAT schools. Unsure as to Secondary work ... Always work within the PAYE scheme, never umberalla. Also, I'd suggest that £120 a day is fairly standard to start with. I commanded UPS3 for my long-term supply from Jan-July and the school were happy to pay it and they paid me from the get-go, not after 12 weeks.... Also, if you don't fit a school, you don't have to go back and can decline at any point making it a flexible way to work.

There are some fairly large MATs, it might be worth contacting them to work as a freelance supply. I did that for a HT friend, who had a vacancy from Oct - Dec. You will need to register yourself for a portable DBS on the update service (pay annually about £14) and you would need to declare your earnings in the following tax-year (put aside 20% for tax purposes)

It's not impossible, but it's not always regular, unless you go looking for those types of contracts.

Good luck and DM me if you need any recommendations regarding specific agencies :)

13. BoldAsBrass

Yes - Scarborough (where I did my ITT many years ago) and places like it, are a haven for people who councils find difficult to house in inner areas so ship them off to the coast. There are lots of social problems in places within Scarborough, because of the influx of specific 'types' moving into the area. There are lots of drug problems and social disturbances in pocket areas within the town. Its a lovely seaside town but like everywhere, there will always be problems... and lots of other coastal towns are suffering in similar ways around the country unfortunately

agathamorse, PeterQuint and pepper5 like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sadly that is true - there isn't a lot of money in Scarborough and some areas of pretty deprived housing too.

The situation hasn't really changed for 30 years.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's truly amazing how the Scarborough schools have declined over the years though - as I said - the school I was a pupil at is a complete mess.The school that was always regarded as by far the best is in special measures.

PeterQuint and agathamorse like this.
  16. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Having done supply in three Scarborough schools I would say there’s only one that I would consider working at at the moment. The other two are very challenging.

17. BoldAsBrass

My family have two holiday flats on the North Bay overlooking the sea and I've seen a huge decline in the area over the last 4-5 years. No summer holiday there this year as they are both full of hard working young professionals and students. There have been/are problem tenants within the building, including one 'growing his own'! Bare faced cheek of it ....

It saddens me to see this. I went to my old student digs on Aberdeen Walk a couple of years ago, as the building was for sale as an HMO and we considered purchasing it. Nothing, absolutely nothing had changed in 20+ years except contract carpets on the hall,stairs and landings (and it was a s#it hole in 1996 when I spent a year in there BUT it was opposite Toffs NIghtclub so it was ideal for a 90s raver. lol. Needless to say, we didn't touch it!

There were some fantastic school in the mid 90s in Scarborough, one where I would have loved to have worked and certainly ones where if you got a placement, you were over-the-moon. Unfortunatley, as I had my own car, I was often shipped off to Bridlington, or other small village schools like Driffield, Brandsburton and even as far as Whitby. I only did a little work in the school opposite the college each week, teaching music lessons as part of my course, just off the main Brid-Scarb road (forget the name but a 'good' one at the time)

I often dreamt of spending my later teaching years there and possibly retiring there BUT now I'm not so sure ....unless I could afford the house on Scalby Road I lived in on my last year, which was owned by a local hotelier. Lovely 4 bedroom semi with a garden heading towards the hospital, now that was a great house.

PeterQuint likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My folks still live in Scarborough and I'll be there this weekend. I once thought about retiring there but I doubt whether I will. I've also thought about returning to my old school as a teacher but I wouldn't consider it at the moment as the school is in such a poor state.

I also find the centre of town depressing - it's been awful for years.

PeterQuint and agathamorse like this.
  19. BoldAsBrass

On the plus side, cocktails are 2:4:1 all day everyday in the Scarborough Flyer!! :)

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

....and the views are still lovely.

....and the area around Scarborough is very nice.

It's still a wonderful place in the Winter

agathamorse likes this.