1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching in the South... Through an agency, will it vary or is it a set?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by dtrim, Jul 6, 2015.

1. dtrim

dtrim New commenter

Hi All,

Recently qualified, so fairly new to the business and just wanted to get my numbers straight. is there a set amount the agency will pay me? or does it vary depending on agencies?

I don't want to sign up to an agency who charges the school lots more because then surely i am less likely to get given work?

What about if i got hired directly by a school? how would i be paid then?

Any advice on the subject would be great! Thanks in advance.

2. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Welcome to the world of supply!

Agencies are private businesses, so pay you - and charge the school - what they can get away with i.e.: they charge the schools lots and pay you as little as possible. There is no set rate. Insist on being paid PAYE, NOT through an umbrella company.

If you are hired directly by the school, you will be paid to scale, plus they will contribute towards your pension.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Administrators at school might not process a direct application to be a supply teacher unless you are known to them. This is because they have not advertised a vacancy. Very few schools take up unsolicited CVs.

If you are aware that a school is having staffing problems, it is worth a shot.

I can offer a wide range of subjects including English and two modern languages to A level but schools are playing it safe right now. They are nearly all having to cut staff out. They don't want too many people on the payroll so they opt for agencies even if there is no saving by going that route.

The agencies have serious PR and sales teams to nail deals with schools. If you want to steal business off them, you need to push very hard.