1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching in Surrey

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by abattersby, Jun 25, 2015.

1. I have been a full time class teacher for 6 years now and am thinking of giving it up to do supply, tutor, mark exam papers etc as I'm fed up of how many hours are spent doing paperwork compared to teaching. I'm based in Surrey and was hoping to get an idea of how much supply teaching is realistically out there. Also what other jobs do people do to supplement their pay? Thank you in advance for any advice offered!

2. Indeed, there seems to be a lot of work through eteach in Surrey, according to the emails that I receive from them every now and again, making me considering to relocate. If you are living in that area, I would make independent agencies my last choice. Even if they offered more money to get you on their books, in the long run one is better off without agencies.

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi. eTeach seem to have a lot of local work and on Surrey Schools website claim to pay to scale. when. I had an interview with them, however, rates of pay seemed to be same as Reed - £110 day to day and £120 long term placement if you're at M6. I didn't have recent enough references for them. A primary head recommended ClassCover ( I think). Reed gets me work but it's often a very long way away. More in Redhill/Reigate area. Then Outer London.

4. Thanks for replying. A mate went with Classcover. Do you get much work though?

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

No but I'm not available very much at the moment. You should be in a better position as you haven't had a very long career break.

sorry I can't be more helpful.

6. Thank you for your help!

7. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Different people have different experiences with agencies. I have found the one that was recommended to you pretty useless. They also pay monthly and if you work after the pay cut off date, you won't get paid until the following month - I once did half a day's work with them, and had to wait two months to get paid. That is actually the total amount of work that I have ever had out of them.

8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I could well have misremembered the name the Head gave me - there are so many . Also, I suppose a Head would have a different perspective on what makes a good agency.

Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences.

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Not infrequently, I get calls from agencies asking whether I would be interested in work in places like; Croydon, Farnborough, Guilford and Crawley, none of which is any use to me as I live in Uxbridge! This seems to be the way of it, agency work hardly ever comes up anywhere near you!

10. Tech a that's not good about being paid after two months! Who would you recommend? Jolly Roger those areas work for me, do you mind me asking who the agency was? I guess what I need to work out is there enough work out there for it to be viable.

11. Jolly_Roger1

C*p*t* seems have work out that way. I do not know about other agencies as I don't hear from them.

12. Jolly_Roger1

13. Ahhh thank you! I couldn't work it out for the life of me!

14. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Abattersby, the agencies based in Brighton tend to cover the Surrey area too. If you do a search for supply agencies in Brighton, you will find the names of several.