1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching in London

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by isalou, Jul 3, 2016.

1. isalou

isalou New commenter

Hi all,

I'm coming to the end of my second year of teaching in a primary school in London and I'm planning to go travelling in the Spring. So for the Autumn term I will be unemployed and living in London... A scary thought!

I'm thinking about doing supply teaching for a bit to tick me over until the new year. I did supply for a while in Devon, but I was living with my parents so it's going to be very different this time around with a London rent to pay!

Can anyone offer any advice? Is it possible to live off of supply teaching in London? Will there be enough work? And can anyone recommend good agencies to work for in London? The agency I was with last time around were OK but I've since found out they paid pretty badly so I'm more wary this time. Is it worth signing up to more than one agency? I will be on M3 (rather than M1 last time), how much would I expect to get paid as supply?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Make sure you have applied to 2/3 teaching agencies. Do so as soon as possible so that your dbs & references can be collected. It might be possible for you to get a terms work before the summer holiday starts even at this late stage.

As you are single, perhaps sign up with non-teaching office agencies too.

SSS.