1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching in London. Making the 'big move'

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ratty83, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Thanks for the advice. I do have friends and some family down in London so its not like id have no support network but I think I'm gonna try and get a full time permanent job before I actually move. Thanks for the advice... I never trust agencies, 'you can work 5 days a week if you wwanted to' seemed a little ridiculous. Thanks[​IMG]

2. This e-mail was sent to me today, from an agency with which I registered eleven months ago.
    "Dear Albert
    I am writing to advise that Nita Pindoria has now left Smart Teachers to go on maternity leave. I am currently in the process of sorting through her files.

I need to make you aware that I don’t think I will be able to assist you in finding suitable employment next academic year. We are currently working with fewer schools in your local area and unfortunately the changes in the market this year have meant much greater competition for jobs. Schools have been more reluctant to employ with the help of a staffing agency like ourselves due to budget constraints. As a result we have a surplus of staff already on our books that we are currently seeking work for and therefore, we are freezing registrations at this time.
    If you are still looking for work I would suggest registering with a local agency to your area where you will have more access to local schools or alternatively, you can contact your local borough to find out how to register with the local staffing pool for schools in the area. The borough pool of teachers and support staff is a cheaper alternative for schools and one that I’m aware many schools are making use of at the moment.

I hope this is of some help to you and best wishes for finding suitable employment for next year.

Smart Teachers
    London Office
    T: 0207 240 2403
    F: 0207 240 2409
    For the latest local and overseas teaching jobs visit

This is what it is like in London

3. e26

e26

I worked perm.in a secondary school in South London over the last 2 years, and even though we had two full time Cover Supervisors we still used supply teachers regularly. I suggest contacting agencies in London and asking whem to advise you.