1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching in Devon

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by beckyboo1234, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hey all Im currently teaching in the West Midlands but in April will be moving down to Devon, I was wondering what supply agencies schools use down in Devon to cover with, or any other useful websites on teaching recruitment in Devon. just in case I cant get a job in the Easter and have to wait to September? Thanks so much Regards Rebecca

2. Hey all Im currently teaching in the West Midlands but in April will be moving down to Devon, I was wondering what supply agencies schools use down in Devon to cover with, or any other useful websites on teaching recruitment in Devon. just in case I cant get a job in the Easter and have to wait to September? Thanks so much Regards Rebecca

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't want to be considered a pessimist but generally, the 'rural South' isn't a good place to find work, temporary, permanent or supply. Do you<u> have to</u> move?
    Perhaps others may have found it different?

4. I used to be a big hit in the Plimuff area (joke). I gather from the chums I sometimes bump into, there is no work. It dried up for me jan 10. I had about 4 days in the winter term and that was the end of it. It got so desperate I managed to scrape through 09 with about 8 weeks work in total..... It just dried up. Permanent jobs are equally fought over with SCITT, Marjons and Plymouth PGCE, Exeter PGCE and GTP chucking out literally hundreds of NQT's all hellbent on getting a job.

5. This year is going to be an interesting one for the statistics with an epic amount of jobs not being advertised. It is totally mental.

6. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I was considering moving to the Devon/Cornwall areas. After extensive research and ringing around various agencies and such like ...no work, well nowhere near enough to even pay the rent never mind other stuff! Also when I looked there wasn't many perm jobs either.
    If you have a partner who earns enough and you like maybe one days work a month then go for it, it's a beautiful place to live!

7. I currently live in Plymouth and it is absolutely dire for work! Over the last few years I was averaging 3/4 days a week but this academic year, having completed a long term cover role from Jan-July , I have barely completed 2/3 days a week. Some weeks I have had no work at all! I used to be able to make my pay during term time last during the holidays without having to claim jobseekers or housing benefit, but this year I've had to bite the bullet as I can't pay the bills with my earnings. Jobs are SERIOUSLY hard to come by as well (unless you have lots of experience?). More rural areas have less supply and less jobs as people tend to move there to retire. However, when a job does become available, you may stand a higher chance of getting it as less people apply than in the city. I would say move down if you are not solely dependent on your income to pay the bills but only if you really have to.

8. Are you primary or sec? I gather secondary is dead beyond belief. It's a shame, I used to enjoy bumping into various supply comrades out there. I'd love to know how they are getting on. Occasionally when I bump into a supply or more-amicable perm who I know, the story is all the same.... We don't get used/don't use. I can't say I've met anyone who is busy in Devon/Cornwall secondary. I'm running my own business in Penryn now and I've got a few mates in the teaching circuit and it's beyond dire

9. Supply teaching in the South West is virually non-existent.
    All schools are employing all manner of unqualified staff with 3/4 cover supervisors per secondary school so as a fully qualified, experienced and registered teacher what chance have you got with a MORALLY CORRUPT and PERVERSE SYSTEM that actually prefers to use the UNQUALIFIED![​IMG]
    Moreover there is even more perverse employment practice in DEVON and CORNWALL schools: nepotism, ageism, racial prejudice, red-neck attitudes, overt xenophobia and inbreeding such that many schools now employ the NQT sons and daughters of existing teachers within the same school!
    In one school as a Supply I counted some 20 married couples and an army of familial related TAs...unbelievable? Do they want outsiders? Are they open?

10. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

Supply teaching in Devon seems to drop every term. Most schools use TA's to cover PPA and an increasing number use them to cover staff illness as well. Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of rural schools don't use agencies, they tend to keep their own list of known supply teachers. In the event that their usual supply teachers are unavailable they will usually phone another school to find out the name of a supply teacher.

11. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Yeah that's why I decided against moving there for the first part of your post...I had no idea it was like that (the second part of your post). I have worked in schools where people are related though...very interesting stories that I wouldn't post on here!!![​IMG]

12. As you know I do not mince my words but say it as it is!
    If we have to rant then LET'S RANT OUT LOUDLY AND HONESTLY!

13. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Yes, I have noticed that [​IMG] and enjoy reading them!

14. I can imagine Liberal types thinking "how awful" at your comment. With the biggest dose of broad mindedness, I do think you are in the right ballpark. However, wherever there is an oversupply of staff, human nature takes over wherever possible. Where it isn't possible, the old grapevine of everyone knows everyone works. The way I got my first job was one of these bizarre transactions. They went through the motions but had me lined up........ I've seen it everywhere with the most curious hiring logic taken. However, it's just nature at work.

It's naive to consider schools and teachers as some altruistic individuals whose decision making is somehow elevated to academic levels of integrity. Well, it most certainly isn't and in my experience and in that of a lot of people I've yapped to, there are often disgusting levels of human nature on display.

It's not very nice, but neither is human nature!

15. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I currently work in a secondary school in Cornwall as a NQT on a temp maternity contract. I looked across most of Devon and Cornwall for a job and there really is very little in either county.
    I tried to register with several agencies across Devon and Cornwall and there was only one in Plymouth and one in Truro who were interested in registering me and the daily rate would be just &pound;81. The rest said they just didn't have any work coming in for secondary. I currently have Friday's off in my current job and have put down for cover work and am top of the list as I am obviously cheaper than the school using an agency, but even then I have only been telephoned once in eight weeks with the offer of cover work as they have enough cover supervisors most of the time to meet their needs in the absence of teachers.
    Cornwall is much harder for getting a job, in Devon you have Plymouth and Exeter which creates more jobs but competition is fierce. From my experiences at interview there does tend to be an internal candidate a lot of the time. Even in my current school, the lady I am covering for mat leave got the job through knowing the head's husband and wasn't even interviewed.
    I love living in Cornwall though, beautiful area, less traffic so commuting is easier and behaviour is reasonable, well compared to my experience in a Plymouth school anyway!

16. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

£81 sounds like only just below what the LEA pay.

Devon LEA pay per hour when you supply at a rate of your annual salary divided by 1258.5. So an NQT on M1 will get paid 17.15 per hour. Of course how many hours you get paid for varies on the school. In Primary it tends to be between 4.75 and 5.5 hours per day.