1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching in Bristol

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BristolLanguages, Aug 5, 2019.

1. BristolLanguages

BristolLanguages New commenter

I have not been doing supply teaching for a while and lost touch with how the different schools are doing internally. I was wondering if any of you who is doing secondary supply would not mind giving me their personal views (through private message, of course) about the different schools they have worked from the inside.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi BristolLanguages

I am not in Bristol but wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum.

3. BristolLanguages

BristolLanguages New commenter

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I've taught in some Bristol schools but that was over two years ago, Its no secret that there were some very dire schools in Bristol, particularly when they were under LEA control.

But its worth noting that Bristol schools can turn around very quickly with a good new Head teacher. I don't why this should be the case more so then neighbouring Somerset schools which seem to stay fairly constant (Somerset schools are generally pretty decent).

Some Bristol schools improved beyond recognition from their past reputations so any non recent assessment of Bristol schools would be of little value. But you can quickly get an idea from talking to other supplies currently working in the area you meet in staffrooms.

Ignore Ofsted reports they are often way off the mark of what a school is really like.

5. siobhangoffee

siobhangoffee New commenter

Hi,

I'm also moving to Bristol for a September start using supply - advice on schools and agencies would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Siobhan

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Sibhangoffee

I am not in Bristol, but what you could do is get a list of the schools within the area you are willing to travel to and ring the schools to find out which agencies they recommend and which ones they use. People have done that in the past with success.

As far as which schools to go to, les25paul gives some sound advice and I would second it.

Once you get into a few schools you can ask other supply teachers which schools are decent places to work in and which ones to avoid.

Ensure you are in a union.

If you have time, read the thread New to Supply which goes over some things you might want to know if you have never worked as a supply teacher before.

7. siobhangoffee

siobhangoffee New commenter

Thanks pepper5, good tips!

pepper5 likes this.
  8. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The best Supply Agency in Bristol was Cover. However they have recently been taken over by someone else and also had a change of staff at the top. Therefore it is perhaps too early to make a sound recommendation.