1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching for two agencies and looking for an NQT post

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bethany2009, Aug 22, 2011.

1. I will be registering with another agency so that I have two agencies. I want to make sure that I am reliable for both agencies. What advice can anyone give me when working with two agencies if both agencies are willing to give me at least 3 to 4 days worth of work on a flexible basis.
    The other thing is that I havent completed my induction and was wondering if it becomes difficult to find work as an NQT after working for two years as a supply teacher? Do I need to top up with a course of some sort.

2. I will be registering with another agency so that I have two agencies. I want to make sure that I am reliable for both agencies. What advice can anyone give me when working with two agencies if both agencies are willing to give me at least 3 to 4 days worth of work on a flexible basis.
    The other thing is that I havent completed my induction and was wondering if it becomes difficult to find work as an NQT after working for two years as a supply teacher? Do I need to top up with a course of some sort.

3. Yay...yet more BS from agencies

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

What Timberwolf means "its highly unlikely at this stage in the school year (or perhaps anytime in the school year) that there will be so much work on offer from agencies that you are going to be overbooked".
    Most agencies will not tell you this of course and insist that they are desparate for more supply teachers on their books to handle all the work they have in. In reality you have more chance of finding a unicorn munching four leaf clovers whilst kicking over a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.[​IMG]

5. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

I agree. You need to register with loads and loads and loads of agencies, then MAYBE you might get 2 or 3 days a week work IF YOU ARE LUCKY. You will be able to complete your NQT year if you get a term's placement in your subject.

6. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

oops, I thought you had completed some of your NQT year already. You can do it in termly supply placements, or in one go if you get a proper job. I think there is a rule about having to complete it within 16 months of doing your PGCE, but I am not certain of this. I am sure somebody else will be able to advise you.

7. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Are you suggesting that you have already worked for two years as a supply teacher? Because you should not have done. Please note this, taken from my local govt website:-
    'From the first day of short-term supply, NQTs may continue for 16 consecutive calendar months. This is regardless of whether the NQT undertakes that work for just one half-day or every weekday during the year.
    [For example, if an NQT starts short-term supply on 1st January 2007, their entitlement to short term supply ends on 30th April 2008, regardless of how many days they have worked, or whether they did inductable work in between.] Once this 16 months has passed, NQTs working in maintained schools or non-maintained special schools should cease short term supply work unless they are granted an extension to the 16 month supply rule. Any further short-term supply undertaken without an extension is illegal unless undertaken concurrently with inductable work.'

This is not just the rule in my LEA, by the way. This is the law as regards NQTs, so be very aware that from the first day of supply you get that your clock is ticking down towards either completing your NQT year or having to stop teaching entirely, I'm afraid.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

There is no 16 month time limit for completing Induction after your PGCE.
    There is a 16 month allowance period for taking non-Induction supply teaching, as outlined above, and a possibility of your local LAs granting you an extension for apossible extra 12 months on short-term supply.
    When you have used up your supply allowances, you must stop teaching int he State compulsory sector until you can get Induction work.
    You can start/complete Induction at any time after training but can't work as a teacher in the State sector for longer than 28 consecutive months if you haven't completed Induction.

9. Incredible, they are promising at LEAST 3-4 days work a week?
    Are they taking you for a fool? Did they also send you an email from the ex wife president of Ombobungaland who happens to have 20 billion US$ in the bank and will offer you a 50% cut if you share your bank details?
    I'm still gobsmacked about how bloody dishonest these lying *** agencies are.