1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching & financial support?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mary82, Aug 7, 2016.

1. mary82

mary82 New commenter

I have taken the plunge & left my full time teaching job. I am going to do some supply/intervention work from September.

However, I am wondering what benefits are available to help financially if I don't get much work?

I am a single-parent to a 15 year old.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You'll have to check with Citizens' Advice as the system is now moving to universal credit.

3. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

As near miss mentioned, you would have to check with CAB. In a nutshell, you probably won't get full benefits as you are classified as technically being employed, but check. If
    You are worried about income, it might be worth speaking to a school that you've done supply work for to identify if they have a part time support role available (cover supervisor/ TA)

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

If you do this, the school is contractually obliged to pay a finder's fee to the agency, of about 10% of your first annual salary. If you apply directly to work at a client school within 14 weeks of last working for them, the agency can claim this fee.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You are very brave to do this in the current climate

Best wishes

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  6. harecatcher

harecatcher New commenter

I'm a supply teacher with a family to support. We get universal Credit which replaces tax credits, housing benefit, and jsa when you are out of work for longer periods like summer holidays, though you still have to look for work of course (35 hours per week!) And apply separately for council tax reduction when not working. Theoretically it's more reflexive than the old system because your UC is worked out each month according to your earnings so not so on/off as old system which should be helpful. This remains to be seen as far I'm concerned. It's a bit "Big Brother is watching you" at the moment.

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Initially the issue with claiming might be that you have voluntarily given up a job that would otherwise have continued.
    Under the old JSA system they could disallow a claimant from getting up to 26 weeks of the JSA personal Alowance if they had left a job within 12 months of making a claim.
    A doctor's note about suffering from stress etc could cancel out a disallowance.
    When I was at the jobcentre we found a client work in a chicken processing factory. He lasted two days. His claim was routinely rejected when he signed back on but was reinstated when he appealed and had a GPs note saying that the factory smells were making him physically ill.
    I'm very out of touch now with the actual benefits and have no experience of Universal Credit.
    I you are renting, it should be possible to claim housing benefit without signing on (and Council Tax relief).
    I agree that CAB should be your next port of call over the holidays to get all the information and advice that you can.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Further to others' helpful comments, there are two helpful and reliable benefits calculators on both the Citizens Advice website:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/benefits-introduction/what-benefits-can-i-get/

and on the website of the organisation Turn2Us:

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

You can input your figures at will and it will tell you the benefits you can claim at any time. It is possible to do 'would I be better off if?' calculations for you too.

There are then links on the CA website to specific benefits and how to go about claiming.

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  9. Om100

Om100 New commenter

The truth of the matter is that people are chucking away their careers on droves to do supply teaching leading to a very bad demand and supply issues. The requirement for supply has plummeted in the last year and the number of teachers choosing supply as they cannot get jobs, are chucking away their careers to do supply or otherwise is leading to a huge deficit where the amount of work available to go round. It is becoming thinner and thinner.
    It is like a cake. Before 2015 the cake was a reasonable size and enough for each person to have one piece each. Now however, only one slice of the cake is available and there are about a million times more supply teachers than prior to 2015. Look before you leap!

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I seriously doubt there are a million times more suppy teachers now than there were a year ago.

Tell me - how many teachers do you know who have given up a full time job to do supply recently ?

I personally don't know any.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  11. Om100

Om100 New commenter

Peakster,
    These boards are a overt indication of this obvious social trend. Every day practically at least one person illustrates that they are leaving jobs for supply.
    Also, I can speak from experience of the mammoth over subscription of supply teachers and the deliberate deficit of work (doubling up classes, fewer courses allowed, people fearing taking time off due to redundancy threats so taking less time off, hiring of cover supervisors, considerably more supply teachers, hiring of cheaper supply teachers, considerable budget cuts to schools, milder winters hence less absences, NQTs unable to find work so turn to supply, people in their droves chucking away their careers for supply and cronyism and nepotism creeping its way into supply hiring due to these factors)
    I am sorry but we must stop living in a fairy tale world.

12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I wouldn't imagine that many teachers have through over their careers without a damn good reason for doing so. The number of teachers whose careers have chucked them away has been on the increase for years.