1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

supply teaching experiences

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mediaman92, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am a supply teacher and writer and have been commissioned by a well known educational publisher to write a book about supply teaching. At the moment I am gathering material for the book and wondered if anyone would be prepared to tell me about their experiences as a supply teacher. The sorts of things I'm after are:
    examples of good practice in schools regarding the treatment of supply teachers
    examples of bad practice in the way you are treated by the school
    advantages and disadvantages of supply work
    good and bad experiences of supply agencies
    hints and tips on daily survival as a supply teacher
    how primary supply work differs from secondary
    things to be aware of starting out as a supply teacher
    anything else you can think of that might be useful for a supply teacher to know

Just to set your mind at rest - your name, schools you work at, agencies you use will not be published. Everything will be anonymous. If you feel you can help me, you can contact me at:
    laurencefrench92@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks in advance

Laurence

2. Hi,
    I am having a tough time as a supply teachers. Two schools treated me very well I had 4 side of A4 detailed notes plus deputy head showing me around and a TA debriefing with me after the school day. Wonderful people, very relaxed, allowed in the staff room, made me feel welcome and at home.
    In another two schools I was not left many notes, I have been told which class I am in with five minutes to prepare; swapped around classes twice a day; not supported when there were behaviour issues; made feel that I am not good enough by being promised a long term job and then Head Teacher saying today she has not made a decision and being told I am not welcome at staff meetings. So I do lots of work and still feel I have to prove myself.
    On a separate note I have asked the supply agency to place me in a better school with a supportive environment but they seem in no hurry to do so. I have threatened and will probably change agency and school.