1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching, day to day, applications and getting more work.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ronson, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

I've been doing supply for just over a year since qualifying, with no luck with applying for a job. I've drawn upon my experience and I'm getting ready to apply for even more jobs come September. I'm planning on mentioning the various things I've done such as..
    Sharing subject knowledge with other teachers...
    Working with children with behavioural difficulties...
    Planning and delivering cross-curricular lessons...
    Teaching children with EAL and supporting them appropriately
    etc..

Thing is, while I have done about five weeks - two lots of two weeks and one single week - most of my work has been day to day, which makes it harder to actually monitor progression/set targets etc.
    Firstly, is it normal for supply to be so bitty? Secondly, has anyone got any more tips as to how I can leverage my supply experience into an application? I know I can put the ability to think on my feet, to be flexible, but is that the kind of thing that is genuinely going to stand out amongst the crowd? I've pretty much drawn a blank on interviews so far. And yes, I've been using Theo's advice over in the jobseeker's forum.
    Finally, has anyone get any tips for getting requested back by schools more, or getting more weekly work? I've had positive feedback from several schools, but I seem to end up all over the place. Granted, I am on the morning call register, but I've a feeling I'd get even less work - I seemed to average 2-3 days a week last year. I honestly didn't see myself still being on supply at this point... and it's a bit depressing, though I know I'm not the only one in the same boat. Has anyone found volunteering helpful? I'm reluctant to do work without pay, but if it helps me get a foot in the door, it might be worth it. I'm talking about seeking out work in schools, not doing freebie afternoons through the agency.

2. http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/356862/5028430.aspx

3. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

Voluntary work in a school is just helping out with reading, displays and tiding up different areas. Schools won't put a volunteer in a teaching role as they aren't insured, so it may be difficult to do anything else but the above. I do voluntary work in related field, because it adds value to my CV.
    It's changed a great deal and voluntary work can be just as difficult to obtain. I had to submit an application form, with reference details, have an interview before I was taken on as a volunteer.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I'd like to think that if schools did put a volunteer in a teaching role, the employed staff would walk out, but insurance isn't a reason not to do it.

PGCE Students, in theory, can't be left "in charge" because they're not employees - but there's no reason why someone cannot be "employed" as a volunteer.

5. Ronson

Ronson New commenter

Thanks for the feedback. I'm making damn sure I take advantage of all the training offered by my agencies. It does indeed feel like I'm getting further away from a job, but I'll keep plugging away. Is there anyone here in the Manchester/NW area who's worked with an agency that got them longer term work, and can tell me which agency it was?

6. Training through an agency!? I've been with mine over a year and never been offered a single piece of training. My school I was at for 2 terms talked about sending me on Safeguarding training but it never materialised.

7. spiderwomen

Cliveceltic: that's really surprising as most of the agencies I've joined have continuously sent me emails for training. It's a shame they can't offer much supply work. If I had known in advance that being on supply for longer than a year is frowned upon, I would have gone on them, just so it doesn't look like I've done nothing for the last two years.

8. spiderwomen

What are you talking about? I'm not disputing a person can't volunteer in a school, I just think it's a waste of a skilled teacher.
    When I was a student, I was left with the class the entire time, and covered the teacher when she was absent. It's common practice and reflective of what the school think of you as a teacher. Schools may frown upon supply teaching and had huge cuts to their budget, but I don't think they're in the habit of breaking the law.