1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching daily rate calculation

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by uu15926, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

As an NQT, I'm faced with becoming a supply teacher. This is how I worked out what I should expect as a daily rate:

Starting salary on minimum main pay scale = £22,917.00
    Employer pension contribution is 16.48% = £ 3,776.72
    Total pay + pension = £26,693.72
    (I pay national insurance, 7.5% pension contribution, and income tax)

No of days in school year is 195 days. Hence daily pay rate should be £26,693.72/195 = £136.89 per day.

I note that typical daily rates for NQTs are about £100 per day, suggesting that I'd be underpaid by (£136 - £100)/£136 = 26%

Have I made a mistake somewhere?

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Yes, sadly you have made a mistake.
    The employer pension contribution and NI contribution is not paid into, but deducted from your wages.. So the gross (pre tax) sum of £22917.00 is divided by 195. After that, your tax, NI and workplace pension is deducted. The employer's contributions are paid respectively to HMRC and their nominated pension provider by them directly. They add those charges to the client's bill. Plus they also add their own admin charges to the client's bill.
    On the question of pensions, agencies do not qualify for Teachers Pension Scheme, so you won't be able to pay into that.
    On the matter of tax and NI, you must ask to be paid on a PAYE basis by the agency directly, definitely not outsourced payroll provider (umbrella payroll) or you'll end up having both employer and employee contributions deducted from your wages and be charged a daily admin fee on top.
    Please keep asking if you have more questions and take time to read the pinned posts at the top of the supply forum.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Employer Pension Contributions and Employer NI contributions are paid ivy employer in addition to your salty (not deducted from it) but that is of limited relevance unless you would be in a position to pay them yourself.

But I feel the main point that you are missing is that supply teachers are rarely paid to scale through an agency nor do the agencies have any any obligation to do so. Agencies will pay you as little as they think they can get away with with. What you receive if paid to scale is an interesting calculation to see how much less you get paid through an agency than as a full time school employee but doesn't really take you any further. You aren't entitled to be paid to sale and it's down to what you can negotiate.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I got £110 as a daily rate, £120 for long term... and I was assured that it was because I was top of mainscale. My rate is now higher..

Sometimes the offer is £60 a day as a Cover Supervisor.

Don’t get your hopes up too high for a good salary.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  5. bananna81

bananna81 New commenter

Make sure you work for an agency which calculates your salary assuming a year is 195 days not 260 days like mine have!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

years ago when supplies were employed by LAs and there was a National Pay Scale, your calculations re being divided by a possible top 195 working days would have been correct, but as several people have said most agencies pay nowhere near a 'normal' teacher's pay rate.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.