1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching count as experience?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by babyblue22, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

I finished my PGCE last year and I am half way through my NQT year at a school that has pushed me to my limits and made me question if I want to teach anymore. I don't feel I have learnt anything new and don't have anything to bring to the table if I was to go for an interview at another school (probably due more to my lack of enthusiasm and motivation at the moment), which leads me onto my next dilemma...
    <font size="2"></font>One of my main aims (and the thing that is keeping me going) is to teach abroad preferably Singapore or Hong Kong to begin with and eventually emigrate to Oz (if primary teaching ever returns to the SOL list) so I was wondering does supply teaching count as experience, for instance did a supply for a year would that equal a years teaching? I know Singapore and HK require a minimum of 2 years teaching experience and at the end of this year I will only have 1 year. If I don't secure another job then I feel my only option would be to supply but I'm concerned it won't count as 'relevant' experience to teach abroad.
    <font size="2"></font>I'm not sure if anyone has been in the same position but any help would be greatly appreciated.<font size="2"></font>Thanks you in advance!<font size="2"></font>Kim

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I don't know the answer in principle but I can say that a year as a supply teacher often does not mean having a year's teaching experience as a supply teacher.
    I used to manage 160+ per year of work on supply. I now get between 20 and 30 days.
    You might be more fortunate being earlier in your career and thus cheaper to employ via LA supply registers . You would see less of a difference between your proper rate and a private agency daily rate.
    Experienced teachers who can afford to be choosy often won't work for agencies any more as they will underpay by up to &pound;80 per day.
    At the very least you need to complete your Induction.
    I'd suggest putting out feelers for maternity leaves in your area. You could ask your LA adviser to keep you informed of any schools where someone is due to go on ML in the Autumn term. If you secured one of those before the 31st May 2012 resignation deadline, you'd stay on proper pay and the time served would be experience that can't be ignored or down-graded (as shorter term supply work tends to be).

3. Thank you for your prompt reply.
    I forgot to say my current position is only a year contract so I don't technically have to give notice at the end of May. However, they do want me to re-interview for my job (there are three teachers, including myself, on one year contracts but next year there is only 2 full-time and 1 maternity, which no one wants). I have tried to 'keep the balls in my court', you might say, by not letting on to the school I'm thinking of leaving (this Easter break has pretty much confirmed I need to leave for my own sanity). So I would just say I won't be re-intervieing.
    Thank you for your help, I will see what is around on the job front and take it from there :)
    Kim