1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching count as experience to teach abroad?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by babyblue22, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I finished my PGCE last year and I am half way through my NQT year at a school that has pushed me to my limits and made me question if I want to teach anymore. I don't feel I have learnt anything new and don't have anything to bring to the table if I was to go for an interview at another school (probably due more to my lack of enthusiasm and motivation at the moment), which leads me onto my next dilemma...
    One of my main aims (and the thing that is keeping me going) is to teach abroad preferably Singapore or Hong Kong to begin with and eventually emigrate to Oz (if primary teaching ever returns to the SOL list) so I was wondering does supply teaching count as experience, for instance did a supply for a year would that equal a years teaching? I know Singapore and HK require a minimum of 2 years teaching experience and at the end of this year I will only have 1 year. If I don't secure another job then I feel my only option would be to supply but I'm concerned it won't count as 'relevant' experience to teach abroad.
    I'm not sure if anyone has been in the same position but any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks you in advance! Kim

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but have you any idea how intense the competition is for where you want to teach? Supply will never be looked on as favourably as a full-time position, and one year's supply would almost certainly not be counted as the equivalent of one year's full-time teaching.

Your two best options are to do another full year in the UK, or find a school in another country (less sought after than HK or Singapore) - where they will probably expect you to sign up for two years.

I'm sorry to hear of your current experience, but it may help to bear in mind that schools can be very different from one another, so you might have really enjoyed your time if you had been in another school. BUT, to stand a chance of getting a decent one you will most certainly have to convince the interviewer of your enthusiasm and motivation.

Do be aware that there are some truly awful schools abroad - even in the places you want to go. So this may not be a panacea for your woes. However, you sound as if a change is unlikely to make things worse.

Good luck.

3. Agree with DG that no, it usually isn't counted. Trying to look on the bright side, however...
    I think it would be possible for you to find a primary position abroad. At a less desirable school and/or location OR by being in the right place at the right time, to get into a better school. The good news is, there seem to be a lot of possibilities for primary teaching positions, so while it's not science, there are at least a lot of positions available, compared to others. Being in the right place at the right time could be after the school year starts and someone must leave. Limiting yourself to only Singapore or Hong Kong might be asking a lot of luck. Or maybe not. There are other good places to be, though. Maybe allowing yourself time to get there and being open to another opportunity elsewhere could restore your faith. If you carefully choose what you accept and are able to actually teach, you could find the reward in it again. But the operative words there would be carefully choosing the environment, with the rewarding kind of challenges. There will be places happy to offer you a position that other teachers won't touch for good reason, so it's important to take care.
    Don't give up.
    Wishing you the best of luck,
    Penelope

4. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

How about China or Thailand, Malaysia etc...

As for experience, is the 2 years post qualification experience solely needed for a work visa? In that case it shouldn't matter if the experience is from supply or not. Also there is long-term supply i.e. maternity cover which might be looked upon in a more positive way than short term cover.

In the end of the day any experience is better than none.

5. Thanks for all you comments and kind words. I'm not limiting myself to just HK or Singapore (they are just the 'ideal'). I received a job offer in China for this academic year, which I would have accepted quite happily but I knew getting my NQT done was more important.
    I will try and find another post and rack up the experience. Hopefully a new school will revive my passion for teaching and a least now I don't feel so desperate for a job I will accept anything.

Thank you again,
    Kim

6. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Too many struggling to find work and so much competition for overseas posts in the desirable locations. As above, do the maths. You will always be fighting against someone with a better quality CV so need to improve your own. Best way is to build up your own experience slowly and steadily: secure somewhere you can stay for 3 years to learn what teaching is all about. Hopefully you'll meet some expereinced teachers/heads along the way who you can learn a bit from.
    P.S. HK and Singapore are possibly two of the most desirable locations in the world for a teacher to head to, whilct darkest Africa is not!