1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Supply teaching as a n NQT?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by GemmaHackett, Apr 2, 2009.

  1. Hi there!
    I was wondering if anyone could help?
    I am going to be an NQT in dance next year, however, I was thinking about doing supply teaching for a year before applying for my NQT year to bridge the gap between my age and the students, but also to save to go travelling for a couple of months before starting my career. Does this sound like a wise move? Do many NQTs work in supply or is this very rare?
    I am also concerned that it may be more difficult to get a job if I haven't completed my NQT year immediately after my PGCE training?

    Many Thanks.
  2. minnieminx

    minnieminx New commenter

    Lots of NQTs do seem to do supply, however be aware that you won't just be teaching dance.
    As you are qualifying in dance, I assume you are secondary and so would be used for general cover. You could go weeks without teaching dance, or even PE.
    If you are happy with that then supply is a good way to go.
  3. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

  5. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If your priority is to travel before taking a permanent post, why not look out for temporary posts where you might even be able to complete some Induction terms?
    Contact the NQT lea advisor Dance/PE to find out if they are aware of any maternity leave or long-term sickness posts in the offing.
    Remember that if you do supply that lasts under a term's length in a school, the first day of such work starts your Supply Alloowance counting down. 16 months after that first day of teaching, your allowance runs out and you can then only teach in the State 5-16 sector if you have an Induction post of at least one term set up.
    You can apply to the LEA when your supply allowance is about to expire and ask for permission to saty on daily supply (or other lengths of time under a term's length); they might reject the request or allocate you 1,2 or 3 more terms in which to take random work that is not part of Induction.
    The dilemma you might have with taking non-Induction supply from Sept 2009 and then travelling is that you will return to find that your 16 month supply allowance has expired in your absence or is about to expire. You Might only have done a few weeks or months of paid teaching in that time, effectively wasting your allowance. You'd need an extension or a post (temporary or permanent) that would allow you to start or continue Induction.
    If you do take supply work, try to maximise work direct with schools or via the LEA supply register. That way you get paid to scale (M1) and, if you do some LEA paid work in at least 26 separate weeks of a school year, you automatically go up the payscale in the next school year that you work for an LEA employer, even if you haven't yet started or completed Induction. Agency work does not count for pay progression but you can mix LEA and agency supply; as long as you have a half day or a full day of work from a school/LEA in each of those crucial 26 weeks, you go up the payscale the following year. You could work the other 4 days per week for an agency if that is the only other work on offer.
    If you do general supply, do you feel confident about walking into a classroom in other subjects to find a few lines on a sheet of paper explaining what you are to teach the pupils? You may have a few minutes to digest the notes, find the text books and write some information on the whiteboard (you won't have a password for the interactive whiteboard) OR the pupils might be entering the room with you meaning thta you need to quickly devise a starter activity that will allow you time to digest the chapter in the textbook etc.
  6. Gemma, I recommend supply teaching as an NQT. I've been doing that and its been on the whole eye opening and has been good for me. I've seen other subjects being taught and had to think on my feet with subjects like Science and Maths. The down side is that you don't feel you belong to a school and sometimes feel like a second class citizen when no one talks to you. It will just mean applying for teaching posts for your NQT year to start in the September. I am doing that now.
  7. Thank you to you all, that has been extremely helpful. Do you know if the 16 month rule still applies if I managed to get long term sick or maternity cover work?

    That is very reassuring that you are now suply teaching as an NQT. Do you find that you are often placed within your subject area or does it depend?

    How did you get your post? Was it through an agency/LEA or did you apply directly to a school? One last question...can you sign up to more than one agency and do you have to wait until you have gained QTS before you can register? Can you join at any time?

    Sorry about all the questions!

    Thanks again.
  8. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If your first day of supply/temporary work is the first day of a sickness cover/maternity cover and it is known from the start that you are going to be employed until at least the same stage in the follwoing month, you should be placed on Induction from the start and the work will not eat into your 16 month supply allowance, which I think should be called the 16 month Non-induction supply allowance.
    Prioritise registration with LEA supply lists as they will pay you to scale, allow you to contribute to the teachers' pension and, potentially, allow you to build enough service in the school year to go up the payscale in the next school year that you teach in. You only need to teach for an hour, a half day or a day in 26 separate school weeks to qualify for Pay Progression. Obviously the more work you get, the better off you will be, so many supply teachers also register with private agencies but try to get at least one booking per week via the LEA. It would be possible for a teacher doing LEA home tuition for 1hr per week in a pupil's house (PUPILS with ME, for instance, as I once did) to qualify for the next paypoint after just 26 hours of work.
    You can join as many agencies as you like but ask a few questions first. What daily rate would you get? Do you have to pay for a CRB clearance? Do they deal with schools X,Y,Z that are convenient for you travel-wise? Once registered and accepting work from private agencies, don't be afraid of mentioning that particular schools are rather far away and will cost you extra in fares or petrol. Back in 2000/2001 I used to get an extra £5 or so to take a day's work at schools that were at the farthest reaches of the county. When it's 8am and they needed to book someone quickly to get there on time, they'll cough up with petrol money or even the instruction (if you don't have a car)to get a taxi to your local station or a taxi from the destination station to the school. They add it to your payslip but it doesn't incur tax or NI.
    I'd start making enquiries with LEAs and agencies now. For one thing, it takes a while to get CRB clearance. Also, you can be employed as an Unqualified teacher on supply from the end of your course until the end of the summer term. Once you are qualified, your pay rate will increase for any work after 1st September.
    If you finish work before the end of any tax year ( 5th April) and don't do any other work and don't claim JSA, you can claim a tax refund 4 weeks after finishing work. My daughter has just done this; she's travelling in OZ and finished work in the UK in february. She completed the very short tax form, signed it AND LEFT IT WITH ME TO ADD HER p45 WHEN IT CAME AND POST IT TO THE ir WHEN THE 4 WEEKS HAD ELAPSED.

  9. Thanks ever so much. You have been a big help and appear to be extremely knowledgeable on this area. In response to your advice, I called my LEA today and they are going to send me an application pack to join their pool, but also said I could contact schools directly, however I am not sure how I would approach this?
    I was wondering about external agencies but as you said it appears that I would be better of joining my LEA pool.
    You have been a great help and thanks again, much appreciated!
  10. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    When I approach schools directly, I get their details from the Council's website. You can usually get separate lists of their Primary and Secondary schools with links to the school websites and email boxes. I usually check out the school website, look at the languages they offer (I'm MFL) and whether they are 11-16 or 11-18. I then send an email, with CV attached, to the 11-16 schools and mention that I am happy to take general cover work.
    I make sure that my CV mentions the date of my latest CRB clearance and my Teacher Number (GTC NUMBER).
    I usually get a fairly quick reply from 1 in 20 emails sent, asking me a few questions and agreeing to keep my details on file, but in the past it's been one of the ones that didn't reply immediately that has contacted me perhaps a term later and offered lots of work.
    Some supply teachers ring up and ask to speak to the teacher or administrator in charge of supply. They may be asked to call in or to send a CV. Others visit the schools to drop off a CV and ask if anyone is available to speak to them ( best to time the visit for the end of the school day-details on school website). If visiting the school, it's often worth having a supply of passport style photos that you can attach to your CV if you do meet the 'important' member of staff. They'll then be able to put a name to a face they recognise when deciding on who to conatct when short or long-term vacancies crop up

Share This Page