1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teacher's Toolkit

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hammie, Jul 25, 2012.

1. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

there are lots of similar threads on here already, worth having a look.
    i bought a personal subscription to tenticks, specifically the colouring maths sheets

2. Agree with Roseangel, planning left more often than not nowadays, resources to accompany it sometimes left!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Loads of pencils, and treat them as expendable.

Export any interesting (and suitable) web links from your browser to a USB stick, especially YouTube.

Download Teacher's TV videos to your USB stick from the TES resource area.

Add any successful one-off lessons to your USB stick

A 'well done/good work' self-inking stamp

4. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Thank you for the suggestions, perhaps I won't need as much stuff as I thought!

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

most important of all is the right attitude regardless of how good or bad it gets. Half four, home time with no marking or preparation to do!

6. ALWAYS do all the marking. Sometimes that will take longer than half four. But there's no preparation and that's a huge bonus.

7. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

When I first went into supply, I didn't take anything with me. There was always plans and if I was early enough I could do a quick Internet search for websites to support whole class teaching. Since I've changed agencies, I've gone into a lot of schools where there isn't anything planned. It really annoys me when the head asks if I have anything with me- I always respond with- 'No, I don't know what the class are learning.' However, I now have one book which I use in various ways across the year groups, and Maths sheets for each year group in key stage two that just allow children to practice their calculator skills. They love this, keeps them quiet and allows them to mark each others work.
    By the way, I also take my own beverages as so many schools don't have them available! That to me is actually the most important thing to take on supply!

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

depends a lot on whether primary or secondary
    The deal being that behaviour in secondary is often poor so you are usually not expected to mark (so if you like the school, surprise them by marking and make sure that they know about it!). Primary usually expect work to be marked, but most teachers identify the bits that they want marked by you and set work for part of the day that leaves no marking.
    In some secondary where you are just baby sitting teenagers who are mentally still in bed, I have dug out books and marked them as I have been bored by the lack of teaching after several days in Primary where the teaching has been full on.