1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teachers - Pay, Hours and Expectations

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by clary_mo, Mar 31, 2009.

1. I've recently started work as a supply teacher through an LEA. However I haven't managed to get information from either the Head, or the LEA, about supply teacher pay, hours and expectations.
    The Head has asked me to mark all the work I teach which of course means I stay beyond the end of the school day. Yet another person from the school office has said to only put down the hours taught in front of the class in the classroom as 'that's what supply teachers do'. Somebody from the LEA says it's up to the Headteacher to decide hours and expectations.
    I understand supply pay is on a daily or half day basis, not hourly. Therefore is preparation time (coming in early) and marking time considered at all? What if I work until 2pm instead of to the usual 3.25? (I asked the school secretary who didn't know).
    I want to ensure I will paid correctly for the work I do but I don't know who to get this information from! Any help and advice appreciated.

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Your rate will be advised to you by the LEA in a written contract, which you should receive within a few weeks of commencing employment (but no later than 12 weeks). It is usually worked out on the following basis:
    Hourly rate - annual pay (reflecting your current point on the pay spine) divided by 1072
    Daily rate - annual pay (as above) divided by 195
    Sessional rate - daily rate multiplied by percentage of the day worked (maximum is 100% or 5.5 hours per day)
    I would imagine that you will not be paid above and beyond the daily rate regardless of any extra time you put in. Although, you should get PPA time as you are employed on the same terms and conditions as a permanent member of teaching staff.

3. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Sorry, I should have added that you will only get PPA time if you undertake a long term contract on supply, obviously if you are doing a few days here and there you won't be eligible.
    You should be filling in timesheets each week indicating how many hours you have worked up to the 5.5 hours each day.
    One advantage you have over agency staff is that you will be able to make TPS contributions and if you work for the LEA continuously for at least 26 weeks (just one day a week counts) you get a pay rise each September.

4. I'm working for the same school for one term - fixed at 2 - 2.5 days a week. Is this classed as 'long term' or it the Head who decides whether this is a long term contract?
    I'm also interested to hear about the PPA- I'm being asked to mark work but not to prepare lessons as such so I'm not sure whether this would count? I'd like to know where I stand as I have a meeting with her on Friday to discuss a few details.
    Thanks for your advice.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I would have said that as you are on a fixed term contract then you should be entitled to 10% of your contracted hours as PPA time (eg 14 hours equates to over an hour of PPA). Who prepares your lessons, do you just follow them rigidly or do you tweak them according to the needs of the children? PPA isn't just for planning, it's time set aside for marking too.

6. I've really only just started but I believe the planning in place is just handed over to me. I would probably tweak it but I don't think that is expected of me as the marking is.
    I will approach the Head on Friday. Two full days teaching a week will be approx 5.5 hours teaching (although I would spend 7.5 - 8 hours in school briefly preparing, marking and having breaks). So in theory I would have an hour a week PPA if it is based on my time in school, rather than direct teaching?

7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Surely two days teaching will equate to 11 hours a week? You should be entitled to 10% of that for PPA. I can't imagine the head will provide PPA cover for such a short period of time, but you could negotiate an extra hour's pay in lieu.

A word of warning: a few years ago I was caught out by a rather shrewd head teacher. I was originally contracted to do 15 hours a week (mornings only) at £8 per hour (the lowest rate on the pay scale). When a permanent teacher went on long term sick leave I was asked to cover for her on LEA supply rates (which equated to £13 per hour). What I didn't realise until I got my first payslip was that I was only being paid £13 per hour for the afternoon sessions (2.5 hours) - the morning sessions (3 hours) were paid at the contracted rate of £8 per hour. I saved that head over £400 over the term.

8. I'm hoping for an answer to this question as I am fairly new to supply work....
    The school I was working in last Friday was due to shut at 1:15pm after registration. I found out at the last minute that they were only going to pay me for the morning session. Do you think I was entitled to some pay for the afternoon as I couldn't leave until after lunch/registration? Or should I just be working for that 15 mins as part of the goodwill between me and the school? I don't want to start getting bolshy but I would like to know where I stand for future reference.

9. That counts as an afternoon session - that they chose to only work you for 15 mins of it is up to them, but there is no such thing as good will between you and a school - I very much doubt they would just give you extra money as a good will gesture of being nice (which in effect is what you are doing by working for free for 15 mins) - you can always play the insurance card "well, I need to be paid for that 15 mins or I am not covered by the insurance/union/God, and if a child or parent were to make a claim at a later date, its more than my lifes worth Im afraid" (my apostrophe key is broken btw, sorry for lack of them!) (disclaimer: I only do agency supply and not LEA so do not know if this is the same for LEA, as I believe that LEA is on hours not sessions, therefore it would only be an another hour, or part of, not a whole afternoon)

The very thought that you should work for gratis is completey and utterly taking the P quite frankly - grrrrr (annoyed pixie now).

10. Thanks so much for that answer. I will check that out as I was employed by the LEA so it may be only an hour. Still....better than nothing.
    I take your point about goodwill - it always seems to be in favour of the employer, doesn't it?
    I find that schools seem to want you to have a bit of 'give and take', and then they stick you for some piddling thing that wouldn't hurt them to concede. It's the same with PPA. If I am employed for a week, teaching full time, I expect to get some PPA. I hope that is right if you are not on a contract, after all we are still under the same terms and conditions. But so often they just conveniently 'forget' about it. Promises to 'pay you back' don't come to much.

11. "Hourly rate - annual pay (reflecting your current point on the pay spine) divided by 1072"

Sorry but isn't this actually 1265 hours?

12. I am really interested in the comments related to the expectations of a supply teacher. I am currently covering a maternity leave but have no contract. I am paid for only the hours of pupil contacy although I do have PPA. I am expected to attend staff meetings, parents', evenings and meetings, evening concerts and also LEA Meetings related to the age group I am teaching alll without additional hours. I feel that I should give some good will because I have some regular work although I do not have the contract. This suited me at first because I was told there would be no responsibilty for a curriculum area. i do all my own planning, both Medium and short term.

13. You would have been much better starting a new thread rather than digging up a 2 year old one. A lot has changed in the supply world and none of it for the better.
    You can ask for more pay but it is highly unlikely you'll get it. I did all you did, including planning, for 2 terms without extra pay and that was through an agency which pays WELL below LEA rates. There is little you can do about it.