1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teachers not wanting to do Early Years?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by VelvetChalk, Jan 14, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I have spent most of my supply work in reception classes this academic year and couldnt help but notice a lot of schools have another supply for year 1-6 (retired staff member/from another agency usually).Now I am generally KS1 and up but did a lot of self training/going to early years seminars and found I was not too bad at it. I seem to have found a niche in supply by picking up all the reception classes that others do no seem to want and getting excellent feedback. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

2. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I have spent most of my supply work in reception classes this academic year and couldnt help but notice a lot of schools have another supply for year 1-6 (retired staff member/from another agency usually).Now I am generally KS1 and up but did a lot of self training/going to early years seminars and found I was not too bad at it. I seem to have found a niche in supply by picking up all the reception classes that others do no seem to want and getting excellent feedback. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

3. I dont mind as long as it is work. Younger classes can be more fun anyway.

4. I've always done a lot of early years/infant work - it's rare I go into KS2 at all really. Made quite a good living out of it over the years (until the fun of this year).

5. I'm Early Years trained - I'll do it!! :D

6. I generally do mainly KS2 but am happy to do any year group in primary. I've recently done a few days in Early Years and realy enjoyed it. But it wouln't be my first choice. There's a lot less marking though so you can get home early.

7. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I've done a few days in Early years and found I really like it. However I've mainly done Y6 this year and am feeling the same way as you, am I the only one who will say yes? I actually don't particularly enjoy Y6, but it seems the only thing coming my way. Work is work!