1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teachers not interviewable?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ultrafin, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hi,

Is it true that some HTs will not interview prospective candidates if they have been working as a supply teacher??

Surely that is incredibly short sighted of them, as a stint on supply is a great way of honing your discipline skills, and ability to think on your feet.

2. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

Most of my experience has been supply work and I have had interviews in the last year. I put forward the positives in statements. The breadth of experiences in ages, abilities, and settings and how useful the experience is for problem solving.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No sensible Head would do any such thing! Especially nowadays when they know how hard it is for people to get jobs. They might as well throw three-quarters of the applications straight into the bin.
    Read this:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    And another question that pops into my mind - have you had time yet to read all the advice in the Welcome thread etc.?
    This thread here gives you a quick summary, but you need to read the main advice too:
    Thinking of going for a new post. Should the app form be submitted...
    Best of luck with the job search!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

To complement the previous comments, I posted a question on here FAO Middlemarch )who gives excellent if frank advice) , asking whether it is better to be on supply as a teacher or settled as a Teaching Assistant as far as applications go.
    She was quick to acknowledge the difficulties of supply teaching, and said she would prefer that to TA experience, and would be very intersted to hear from (references) headteachers who have benefitted from the supply work you have done in their school.

5. Ah thanks for the advice everyone.

I have a reference from the Hod at my Teach Again course placement school, at which I have also done supply. I guess that would do the job, so to speak!