1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teachers hourly rate???

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by gnulinux, May 8, 2011.

1. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

About £17 to £18 per hour? Can this be right???? That was the Evening Class rate in the 1980's.

Garages now charge £60 per hour for labour routinely.

Hairdressers charge about £40 per hour ( a haircut is ~ £8 -£10 and takes about 10-15 minutes - work it out)

Decorators can charge about £120 per hour (hard to believe but true)

Tree surgeons (2 illiterate monkeys with a chainsaw - Aberdeen) cut down some trees - 2 hours £450.

Anyone like to add to this ??? It is far more germane than that idiotic Song Game.

For the EIS to have pressed their membership to accept this is utterly shameful.

2. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

That's top of the scale, as things stand at the moment, before tax. After Aug, we'll be getting around £12 per hour before tax, and for fewer hours per day.
    P.S- where can I get a haircut for £8-10?! [​IMG]

3. gnulinux

The Barber's Pole - £8.50.

4. I work part time as a sports coach and get paid £13 an hour. That's for a job where I attended a 4 day coaching course and a 4 hour first aid course. I will, in August, get paid less for supply after a 4 year degree, one year teacher training, and many many hours of experience and cpd. The whole thing is beyond belief.

5. Freddie92

Freddie92 New commenter

Yup sold down the river. And it makes me laugh that they want to go down the Finish model whereby entrants have to have a Masters. So let's think... study for 4 years Honours, a Masters and then a conversion postgrad with 1 year guaranteed employment.... so 7 years of your life and not guaranteed a job nor indeed a competitive salary with mechanics or plumbers etc who will be earning a good wage well before the 7 years graduates would expect to catch up. I'm gonna say to every kid in my class: go get a job. (If they can find one mind you).

6. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

But teachers are not alone - it is most graduates who want to remain working in Scotland who are fairing badly, imho.My lads did 7 years and 5 years at Glasgow uni - son 1 is moving to London in summer for work and son 2 is earning less than £22k (albeit with prospects and he loves the job).
    yes, my advice too

........anyone know what's happened to Bigjimmy these days?
    [​IMG]

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Thanks Catmum

8. Glad you asked that.....I was also wondering and imagining all sorts of tragic accidents etc!

9. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

That's a real pity - I had assumed his account had been suspended (as happened to Ray) and he was posting under a new username.
    If he is reading I hope he comes back - he brought humour and many useful insights to this forum...and he wasn't afraid to call a spade a ****** shovel.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Hear! Hear!

11. gnulinux

Hello - Is there anybody out there???

12. gnulinux

There is a report on the Scottish Government website dated 2004 on :The Management of Supply Cover in the Teaching Profession.
    This report seems very positive on the face of it. What does this say about the effectiveness of the Scottish Government when by 2011 COSLA, in collusion with the EIS, has turned the spirit of this report on its head to treat supply teachers like ****?