1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher's concerns

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by puffinjen, Jan 18, 2012.

1. puffinjen

puffinjen New commenter

Hi, I am an NQT currently doing supply work in a Reception class. I started after Christmas and will be staying until half term. All is going well and I am enjoying it and the children seem to be responding well to me on the whole. However, one parent spoke to the TA yesterday afternoon to say that her girl isn’t wanting to come into school at the moment and has said she wants to move to another key worker group to be with that TA (we have 3 key worker groups and she is in mine). I have had no problems with this girl – she is always doing the right thing and is a delight to have in the class so I praise her regularly. The TA is surprised that she feels like this because she said she’s seen no change in her behaviour. Is it just normal for children of this age to miss their class teacher or is there something I could be doing wrong? The TA’s both were surprised in the first week how well the children responded to me but think that now that the class teacher hasn’t come back, it is beginning to affect them more (there have been other minor examples from children that are apparently particularly attached to the class teacher). Perhaps I naively would have expected it to work the other way around?
    I just want to make sure I am doing the best for the children and perhaps I am expecting too much for them to be fully secure with me when I have only been there for a couple of weeks. Any thoughts appreciated!

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

It might be that her friends are in another group.

3. Who knows how their little minds work? They will be attached to their original teacher, but don't take it personally.They will have whims about which group they want be in -maybe her bestest friend is in that group- and then when she mentioned it in passing to mum and mum reacted with concern it got stuck in her head.Children like adults for all sorts of different, unpredictable reasons. Thankfully, at this age, they usually love their teachers.It doesn't really matter whether they like you or not (and doesn't guarantee a sense of security), it's just the icing on the cake when they come and say, "I really lurve you, miss". :)

4. puffinjen

puffinjen New commenter

Thank you for your replies, I'll try not to take it personally and just carry as I have been!