1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teachers ? are our pupils being denied an education?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lara mfl 05, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good to raise this point lynn.
    I too have been a full-time teacher followed by supply after my family and have seen offers of supply (especially at LTA rates) drop year on year.
    Now I have had many temporary posts for colleagues off long or short-term sick and always been willing to stay until the teacher returns to maintain continuity for the children- nothing worse for the children than having a different unknown teacher nearly every day!
    But now work has dried up completely, schools having put 'alternative arrangements' in place.
    Let's say a school need someone to stand in at short notice, willing to stay for an uncertain time limit, experienced and able to continue pupils' learning. What happens now, when people like me, not being able tosurvive and pay bills on day-to-day cover, have to leave the pool of supplies? HLTAs can cover short term <u>delivering</u> <u>lessons</u>, but are not neccessarily trained to plan for progression of learning, willing to do all the paperwork, report writing, parent's meetings etc.