1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teachers are in demand because of the teacher shortage

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

In February 2013 I 'sacked' my supply agency and moved to another. They keep contacting me, the latest job was for a Caretaker!! I'm 62, a short female with some health issues!! I didn't apply!

2. choddurham

choddurham New commenter

I worked in an outstanding school which cared and looked after its staff for six years. The paperwork was as succinct as possible. I had to leave because of child care issues. I have started supply and even though there are parts that are harder, I feel happier. I prefer supply mainly because I am not crushed by relentless targets. If a child has an awful home life and can not stop disrupting the classroom (even if SMT are present), I am not held responsible for progress. Don't get me wrong, in my previous school we were high achieving and I always hit my targets. But, it was not worth the mental health of myself or the children. My pressure became theirs.