1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teachers and news coverage

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by kibosh, Dec 20, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

As you will be aware now, Michael Russell has made his plans, to train yet more teachers, official. There was a 20 seconds newsbite about it last night on Reporting Scotland and there is an article on the bbc website which you can look at here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16250143
    I have just spoken with Seonag MacKinnon. Last night's 20 second spot on Reporting Scotland could have been a full 2 minues of reporting (with over a million viewers) <u>IF</u> she had been able to phone up a few supply teachers for a brief interview . . . . . .she was delighted to be able to interview General Secretaries, but was unable to get the longer time slot on the news due to the fact that she needed to be able to get the views of the people at the heart of the matter (us), and couldn't. Bear in mind the BBC articles on the website do not reach nearly as many people as will watch Reporting Scotland.
    As the Supply Teachers fiasco is going to be an ongoing thing, and the BBC want to continue reporting on it as things develop, Seonag has asked me to pass on the following message;
    Please email her if you are happy to be interviewed in the new year (it would result in about 15 seconds of actual footage) and leave your phone number, so she can phone round and try and get someone who is available for last minute reporting. Once she has your number it may be that she will contact you a few times, as and when, developments occur. Email her on -
    Seonag.Mackinnon@bbc.co.uk
    You can follow her on twitter - @bbcseonagm
    It is vitally important to our cause that we get comprehensive coverage (from the media) on the issues of importance to US. This coverage won't happen without our input. If we don't get involved, all the public will be made aware of is what the SG plan and propose to do, and their justification for this.
    *I might also add from a purely personal point of view, that Seonag might be happy to hear from HTs, DHTs, school business managers etc., as it seems that many of us in education are feeling the effect of the SOD, in way or another.

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

As you will be aware now, Michael Russell has made his plans, to train yet more teachers, official. There was a 20 seconds newsbite about it last night on Reporting Scotland and there is an article on the bbc website which you can look at here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16250143
    I have just spoken with Seonag MacKinnon. Last night's 20 second spot on Reporting Scotland could have been a full 2 minues of reporting (with over a million viewers) <u>IF</u> she had been able to phone up a few supply teachers for a brief interview . . . . . .she was delighted to be able to interview General Secretaries, but was unable to get the longer time slot on the news due to the fact that she needed to be able to get the views of the people at the heart of the matter (us), and couldn't. Bear in mind the BBC articles on the website do not reach nearly as many people as will watch Reporting Scotland.
    As the Supply Teachers fiasco is going to be an ongoing thing, and the BBC want to continue reporting on it as things develop, Seonag has asked me to pass on the following message;
    Please email her if you are happy to be interviewed in the new year (it would result in about 15 seconds of actual footage) and leave your phone number, so she can phone round and try and get someone who is available for last minute reporting. Once she has your number it may be that she will contact you a few times, as and when, developments occur. Email her on -
    Seonag.Mackinnon@bbc.co.uk
    You can follow her on twitter - @bbcseonagm
    It is vitally important to our cause that we get comprehensive coverage (from the media) on the issues of importance to US. This coverage won't happen without our input. If we don't get involved, all the public will be made aware of is what the SG plan and propose to do, and their justification for this.
    *I might also add from a purely personal point of view, that Seonag might be happy to hear from HTs, DHTs, school business managers etc., as it seems that many of us in education are feeling the effect of the SOD, in way or another.

3. She needs to contact unions. Teachers cannot criticise their employer and many of those affected by this desperately need employment and are loth to be seen on TV as rabble-rousers or malcontents.

4. Sorry, that's really negative - it was the thought of being interviewed that panicked me. Yes, contact her if you have a story to tell but be careful, ask for union advice and seek anonymity if what you say might hold you in breach of contract.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

My understanding (and I may be entirely wrong about this, as it is just my impression) is that some, if not all, of the interviews might be telephone interviews.
    Good, cautious advice though, airy.