1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teachers and cover supervisors do not exist

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bronco, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Last month I wrote again to the Department for Dumbing Down (sorry - the DfE). The main subject of the letter was the use of staff without QTS during PPA time. But I also used the Freedom of Information Act to get information on numbers of unemployed teachers. teachers with QTS, NQTs, CSs, HLTAs and TAs.
    The response that I got was totally unsatisfactory in my opinion. They just referred me to the DWP and their own website for the statistical information I asked for but this information was a year old. Inaddition to that they claimed that they did not have the information on NQTs or CSs. Maybe I can understand the lack of information on NQTs but not the lack of information on the number of CSs which was a role created about a year ago.
    I have looked at the numbers quoted in the website and from the key points the following information may be useful:-
    Teachers in service in Jan 2010 - 448,000 and 448,100 in Nov 2010 and increase of 100. Compare those figures to those provided by the GTC for March 2011 - 507,236 registered teachers in service. Why the difference?
    The number of TAs in service rose by 19,700 from 194,200 tp 213,900. In the detailed tables (which I want to analyse more carefully) the number of support staff included TAs and HLTAs but nowhere in all the statistics were CSs mentioned at all.
    Remember nearly a year ago the Tax Payers Alliance, using figures from the DfE, quoted £293 million as the cost of supply teachers in secondary schools in the financial year to 2010. What was not stated was that this figure included the cost of CSs but a detailed breakdown of such costs was not given
    Another interesting item was a new role to me. Occasional teachers - those teachers who have contracts of less than a month on the date of the survey. Are these 12,200 occasional teachers part of the 45,000 supply teachers?
    Any comments from anyone?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You're having a laugh, surely - Cover Supervisors have existed for at least 7 years. I know this for a fact because the DfES (as it then was, but I could be wrong as they change their name more often than their pants) was encouraging a female head who had been damed to go round selling her ideas, one of which was cover supervisors. She duly appeared at one of our LA heads' meetings.

3. Sorry middlemarch - I was thinking about other things at the time and I wrote a year instead of a decade following the 2002 Education Act.

4. Middlemarch

No, Bronco - don't apologise, I was being cynical re the long existence of cover supervisors, yet the apparent disingenuity of the DfE about their existence!

5. The 'damed Head' would not be Mary Richardson, would it?

6. Middlemarch

Sheila Wallis.

7. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

If the Dept of Education are or where encouraging a HT to use CS, then that explains why they have made the rules to suit HT or cannot be bothered in dealing with schools breaking the rules. I thought the Dept of Education was dedicated to improving education, not dumbing it down and destroying the education of millions. What a bunch of TW*Ts, I apologise for my language, but I cannot think of another word to describe their actions.