1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher toolkit/essentials

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lilybet_85, Aug 31, 2011.

1. I have signed up to do supply from next week to regain my life a bit. I would like to know what key resources you take to rescue yourself when no work is set or you are left at a loose end with a class of 30? Ey's to ks2
    Any links, activity ideas, resouce recommendations or files would really help me and other supply newbies.
    Please post away [​IMG]

2. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Have a look at the supply teachers section on here - there are lots of ideas there.
    I've had my own class for a few years now but when I did do supply the essential thing in my toolkit was my own mug and coffee. Staffrooms can be very political places at times!
    For early years I always had a good couple of story books in my bag that I could spin a day out off e.g. the Gruffalo (though you might want to choose a slightly less well known book so the children won't have already done it to death.) From this I could do English - sequencing the story, PSE - talking about the morals of the story - was it ok for the Gruffalo to lie to save his life etc? For maths I used to carry a small box of dice that could be used for simple number games (and great coz a practical lesson = no marking.
    For KS2 I had a set of story cards (I think were from the resource bank here) with various objects or people on. I would put the children into groups and get them to make up a story which they then had to tell to their classmates. A great speaking and listening activity, again without marking. Poetry writing is also good for a one-off lesson. For maths I used to have a bank of problem solving activities. Art is always good.
    Also, look round the classrooms when you're there. I picked up lots of ideas for use elsewhere and for when I got my own class. Don't forget to get any TAs/classroom assistants etc on side!
    Good luck!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Take Looney tunes advice and pop along to the supply forum- question crops up regularly each year.