1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Teacher Syndrome - HELP!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by twillrich1, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I am a HLTA in a primary school, covering all classes from year 1 to year 5/6. So a different class each morning and afternoon. I have been in this school doing this job since September 2010. I go home if not in tears, close to them every night due to the unruly behaviour of the classes. They will not be quiet for me at all, I follow the behaviour policy to the letter and have observed lessons to get ideas, however all strategies that work for others do not have any effect for me. Today the class were really noisy, not listening to instructions and generally ignoring me, I tried clapping a rhythm, which they are supposed to copy and then be quiet - no effect. Another member of staff - a TA- walked in clapped and their was complete silence. As soon as she left the room back to noisy. I have raised concerns with my Head, who was supposed to observe me and offer suggestions, this has not happened yet, however not sure this would help as their behaviour would not be the same. I am in my second year of a foundation degree hoping to continue to a further year with QTS but am beginning to suspect that I have chosen the wrong career. Before this I worked for 5 years as a TA in a secondary school and never had a problem with respect and discipline. PLease help I will try anything!

2. I am a HLTA in a primary school, covering all classes from year 1 to year 5/6. So a different class each morning and afternoon. I have been in this school doing this job since September 2010. I go home if not in tears, close to them every night due to the unruly behaviour of the classes. They will not be quiet for me at all, I follow the behaviour policy to the letter and have observed lessons to get ideas, however all strategies that work for others do not have any effect for me. Today the class were really noisy, not listening to instructions and generally ignoring me, I tried clapping a rhythm, which they are supposed to copy and then be quiet - no effect. Another member of staff - a TA- walked in clapped and their was complete silence. As soon as she left the room back to noisy. I have raised concerns with my Head, who was supposed to observe me and offer suggestions, this has not happened yet, however not sure this would help as their behaviour would not be the same. I am in my second year of a foundation degree hoping to continue to a further year with QTS but am beginning to suspect that I have chosen the wrong career. Before this I worked for 5 years as a TA in a secondary school and never had a problem with respect and discipline. PLease help I will try anything!

3. i'm an NQT and until recently, i was doing PPA cover in one school alongside another NQT but had done a similar job as a supply teacher the year before.
    i found that initally behaviour was different for me than the class teacher (i also did observations), but i found talk for learning helped (pupils are given opportunities to talk about the learning or about themselves, which is then linked to the learning), also i gave good behaviour treats to pupils who showed the best behaviour (trips to the ICT suite to do lesson related research or free time in the ICT suite during ICT lessons). behaviour wasn't ever perfect but much better.
    Talk to the class teacher and decide behaviour sanctions together; if they mess around in your lessons, is there something the class teacher can do to support you?
    good luck and don't give up on it, you've got this far...