1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher snow days

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by rolanda, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rolanda

rolanda New commenter

Just wanted to know if anyone is being paid for snow days. I am working with a school as a supply teacher on a long term contract ( I have been working there for 11 months) and was told that they are closed today and tomorrow.

Any ideas on what my rights are with regards to pay? I am being paid parity.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I don't know for sure but at a guess I would say you won't get paid

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Usually, no work, NO PAY.

If you do get some, well, well done you.

But I think that you are looking at a day when nothing is going to come your way.

I was major supply for 10 years over, and even if I was cancelled mid journey, nothing was paid. and that did happen a couple of times

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Might be different with long-term supply. You could argue that because you have agreed to work there, you don't have an agency looking out for other jobs. You didn't close the school. They did.

rolanda likes this.
  5. satwinderkh1

satwinderkh1 New commenter

I am wondering as I am long term supply too.
    I will put it on my timesheet, after all I am willing and able to work, tomorrow.
    I work for the agency but am contracted to the school, I am sure it is an entitlement worth pursuing

6. rolanda

rolanda New commenter

I have been paid in the past.......fwgen I worked for a different school when we had the last bad snow storm.

I will keep you posted.

satwinderkh1 likes this.
  7. rolanda

rolanda New commenter

I agree .....schools expect you to work extra hours when it suits them staff meetings parents evening with no extra pay....so....

I just read on the internet that Ireland have agreed to pay their supply teacher for snow days.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017...o-be-paid-for-days-lost-due-to-storm-1175202/

Thanks for your reply.

satwinderkh1 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm also in the long-term position of wondering if today will be paid (and from 1pm yesterday). Even better I have an email (sent to all staff) from the Chief Executive of the MAT expecting teachers to work from home. It was the same email that announced closure of the school and sent before my alarm went off.

I have these reasons to be hopeful:
    • The agency will no doubt be hustling for its cut.
    • It's a very automatic process so perhaps nobody can be bothered changing it.
    • I've used my strong negotiating position to get a high rate so I should be able to hustle similarly.
    • My HoD said I'd get paid but she is far too decent for a budding SLT so maybe a more vicious one will over-rule or 'correct' her.
    My dilemma is whether or not to wait until pay day (Fri 9th) before enquiring. This assuming, highly reasonably, that no-one will bother informing me of an cut otherwise. But the enquiry might cause someone to think about it to my detriment?

Rott Weiler likes this.
  9. langteacher

From my experience, but this is going back many years in my first year... Long term supply brought me no security. I was long term in a school doing spanish until July ... Then with no notice they looked at the budget and said we can't afford you any more, along with three other long term supply from other subjects. Amazingly they could afford me the week before when I was the only one qualified to conduct the gcse speaking test.

I hope you get paid

10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

RESULT: I've just received a text from the agency telling me I will be paid for the 2 snow days 'off'. No idea why but as I was wondering how far I was going to go to get it, it's a great relief.

11. langteacher

Excellent

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I used to get paid on such occasions. All the people I knew who did long-term did. Mind you, that was along time ago, before people without QTS were allowed to take a class, so watch out for progress!