1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher needing advice about own child's education.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon1008, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Our child is an average learner and achieved all level 2A?s at the end of Y2 - so proud! Child was always so happy but now in a mixed Y3/4 class, with an NQT and 32 other children, including 4 with SEN and other very challenging and disruptive children, our child now constantly complains that lessons are boring, can't or wont explain what she has been doing during the day, and only goes to school to see friends. We feel the classroom set up hasn?t helped our child but we are realists and understand the budget situations and feel she would only encounter the same experience if we moved her to a different school.

She is very quiet therefore rarely gets noticed for anything, however other Y3 children have made progress and are at least a level 3c and above. My child's attitude is heart braking for me and has set off alarm bells.

Most recently during parents evening the CT explained that our child is a 2B in Number therefore we are gutted. Class teacher told us not to worry about the drop as this can happen and it?s not a cause for concern. This however does cause us great concern as we feel we could have accepted this weak explanation if it had been at the beginning of year 3 when settling in, etc, but not now coming to the end of Y3. Especially as my child actually went into Year two a 2C, therefore has only gained 1 sublevel in 2 full years, which we think is appalling.

In the teacher?s words our child is lovely to teach and has many friends, as she has a very caring nature. At home our child knows every avoidance tactic in the book, which buttons to press to wind me up and wont do extra work with me, although does do spellings, reading and times tables daily and always has done, plus we all know how the pressure of trying to force a child can do more harm than good. As a result we are joining the band wagon and are looking for a tutor for the immediate future, our child accepts this but doesn't want others knowing.

Can anyone advice if we are overreacting?
    Is this common, I know not gaining a sublevel during transition from KS1 to KS2 can be normal, but is it normal to have gone a full year in Y3 to gain no sub level but to only have dropped a sublevel?

Most schools don?t use sublevels and I believe these are being abolished this year with a new level system being introduced, although in our case I don?t agree with this new system as this could have easily been covered up or not recognised at all until it was too late.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
    From a KS1 teacher/mum.

2. Our child is an average learner and achieved all level 2A?s at the end of Y2 - so proud! Child was always so happy but now in a mixed Y3/4 class, with an NQT and 32 other children, including 4 with SEN and other very challenging and disruptive children, our child now constantly complains that lessons are boring, can't or wont explain what she has been doing during the day, and only goes to school to see friends. We feel the classroom set up hasn?t helped our child but we are realists and understand the budget situations and feel she would only encounter the same experience if we moved her to a different school.

She is very quiet therefore rarely gets noticed for anything, however other Y3 children have made progress and are at least a level 3c and above. My child's attitude is heart braking for me and has set off alarm bells.

Most recently during parents evening the CT explained that our child is a 2B in Number therefore we are gutted. Class teacher told us not to worry about the drop as this can happen and it?s not a cause for concern. This however does cause us great concern as we feel we could have accepted this weak explanation if it had been at the beginning of year 3 when settling in, etc, but not now coming to the end of Y3. Especially as my child actually went into Year two a 2C, therefore has only gained 1 sublevel in 2 full years, which we think is appalling.

In the teacher?s words our child is lovely to teach and has many friends, as she has a very caring nature. At home our child knows every avoidance tactic in the book, which buttons to press to wind me up and wont do extra work with me, although does do spellings, reading and times tables daily and always has done, plus we all know how the pressure of trying to force a child can do more harm than good. As a result we are joining the band wagon and are looking for a tutor for the immediate future, our child accepts this but doesn't want others knowing.

Can anyone advice if we are overreacting?
    Is this common, I know not gaining a sublevel during transition from KS1 to KS2 can be normal, but is it normal to have gone a full year in Y3 to gain no sub level but to only have dropped a sublevel?

Most schools don?t use sublevels and I believe these are being abolished this year with a new level system being introduced, although in our case I don?t agree with this new system as this could have easily been covered up or not recognised at all until it was too late.

Thank you in advance for your reply.
    From a KS1 teacher/mum.

3. You are not yet at the end of Year 3, you still have a complete term to go so stop worrying on that front. Is your child really a Level 2b in maths or did she just score a 2b on the latest test? These are 2 different things. Many children will be working at a higher level than a test score may indicate. There can be all sorts of reasons for that. The Year 3 test is timed, the year 2 one isn't. That makes a huge difference to some children who work slowly.
    Having said that you are right to be concerned about your child's progress. As a KS1 teacher yourself you will know all the elements that make up all the various levels Even though your child may not wish to work with you I'm sure there are endless ways you can build opportunities in to help her informally. It doesn't have to be written down to be learning as you know. Play games with her to help with the numeracy. Junior Monopoly, card games and endless ones fom the Early Learning Centre are great for improving skills in a fun way. She won't realise she's learning.
    I have never liked the idea of a tutor for such young children but obviously that is your own choice and she may find that the intensive one to one attention will build her confidence enough to enable her to make quicker progress. Do it for a while and see how it goes. You can always stop it if it isn't having any effect.
    Good luck whatever you decide. Keep in touch with the school and let them know how concerned you are. Are the school offering any support? Many schools do.

4. I used to be a Y3 teacher and this was an issue all of the time. Even the optional SATs at the end of y3 showed little progress with lots of children. The Y2 SATs are mainly teacher assessed and we used to look in dismay at some of the levels the children came into Y3 with. A 2A in year 2 is different to that in tear three due to the nature of the tests. I suspect your class teacher has her levels from non SATs tests as even the optionals aren't due yet. When I started in y3 I doubted my own teaching but having taught year 4 and all kids averaging out by then I could see the flaw in the system. I currently supply in a school with mixed classes and I do really hate them personally. This may not help the situation either. Is your child s school setting for literacy and numeracy? Ours does so work should be appropriate. You also have to bear in mind that there is a huge change for year 3 children as teaching styles differ, playtimes differ, less play focused learning and more formal style and lots of year 3s struggle with the change even towards the end of the year. If you are really worried I would make an appointment at the school to see if there's anything you or they could be doing to support the situation. It's up to you regarding the tutoring but year three children are still young and as the previous poster said there are things you can do through play to encourage her to learn in a fun way. It does sound to me a typical year 3 story though.