1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher going into tutoring?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by SexyMouse, Nov 19, 2018.

1. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

Hello everyone,

As a primary school supply teacher, I'm increasingly worried about the lack of work that has been available (I've only had 4 bookings since March when I came back from maternity leave, and having spoken to my agency, they said that it's because a lot of their main schools have stopped booking with them so they've been very quiet).

My youngest is 21 months old and my eldest is 6 (but his school have no wrap-around care) so I am limited to the days I can work on supply too, which may not be helping matters. However, if I did tutoring in the evenings, my husband would be available for childcare. Has anyone done both? How do you get started? Was it worth doing?

Many thanks in advance.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I started tutoring when I was a supply teacher.

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have done a bit of tutoring in the past and it earn't me a bit of extra money. But there is a drawback in that your potential tutees are generally only available in the evenings or weekends, of which Friday evenings and Sundays are not usually popular choices. This could limit the number of tutees you can actually see to maybe four during the week and three or four on a weekend,

This will limit the amount of income you can generate. As for getting started I was approached by people who had been recommended to me by friends knowing I was a teacher. I did limit myself to a maximum of two tutees at any time because I liked my free time too much.

It is worth doing for some extra cash, but along side supply teaching not as a replacement.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Suggest you register with a few more agencies, at least half-a-day to go through the paperwork for each but at least you'll have more people looking out for you. Also the main schools that are no longer going to this agency will be using another (but be careful of being forced down on price).

pepper5 and SexyMouse like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Is it possible you live in an area that has reached 'peak supply'? @Jolly_Roger15 is in North London and frequently points out that there are far too many supply teachers chasing work and so no work or work for peanuts. I do very nicely in West Yorks and am very similar to him in age and covering Science/Maths

I also predict (with no knowledge whatsoever of N London) that it could also have reached 'peak tutoring' with too many supply teachers chasing tutees. Or does the devastation of education in the area, due to dirt-cheap and useless supply, mean that tutors are in high demand still?

I don't know myself but can @David Getling or others shed any light on my prediction. This isn't just idle wondering, I've dabbled in tutoring myself Up North but as I'm on £195 a day I haven't had to be bothered with it. But when my Gravy Train derails then I can only really give tutoring in Maths a good go.

agathamorse and SexyMouse like this.
  6. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

Thank you everyone - some good points for consideration here. My supply work is in Hampshire (mainly Portsmouth schools). I guess I need to work on updating my CV too and phone around some more agencies.

The other option that I'm considering is providing wrap-around care (breakfast and after school club) as the only options for parents in our area who work is to use 2 local nurseries or rely on family members. The downside to this is that it is nowhere near as well-paid, I'm guessing I will need to invest in insurance of some sort, and I will be subject to the dreaded Ofsted again. It would also mean that I wouldn't be able to do supply on those days, though I guess it would work with my family as I'd be doing the drop off and pick up anyway.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Sadly, you are quite correct in your prediction, as every unemployed supply teacher is a potential tutor. The over-supply of tutors forces hourly rates downward, and many parents balk at paying £15 per hour. In addition, as @David Getling said, "Everyone and his dog tries to get into the tutoring game." If you have a look on websites like Tutor Hunt, you will see this is true; with A level students offering tuition at £10 per hour. Through Tutor Hunt, I have been contacted by parents who state that they will only pay £10 per hour.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I freely admit my bit of tutoring right now is a very minor sideline

But it's enjoyable nevertheless and gets me out of the house occasionally

agathamorse, SexyMouse and pepper5 like this.
  9. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

Well after phoning up the agency and checking about lack of work, I've miraculously had my available days filled as on the day bookings for the last couple of weeks. Fingers crossed this continues until the end of term.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. earlsgate

earlsgate New commenter

why not go into on-line tutoring in either maths or english?

my daughter does the later, and earns around £14 an hour, and speaking to others I have heard of their relations earnings the same doing maths. Whilst there may not be the same amount of hours as a regular school day there is a steady stream of work and plenty at the weekends. Thus able to plan and avoid the soul destroying wait for others to issue work

must be a good alternative to dealing with some of these ghastly agencies and so many unhelpful members staff which populate academies

pepper5 likes this.
  11. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

earlsgate does your daughter do the tutoring through an online agency?

12. earlsgate

earlsgate New commenter

she works for a company based in china who provide all the materials to carry out the lessons, she finds it suits her lifestyle as she is doing some courses in Thailand but also worked from our home during the summer good broadband needed as its basically a skype set up needing a good upload speed( 2mb/s)

as I say limited hours but at least there is steady work which allows one to plan the future whilst earning £700-900 a month

I will provide her contact details to you, and any others interested, should you wish to find out more from her

agathamorse likes this.
  13. arktutoringservices

arktutoringservices New commenter

I set up as a tutor 3 years ago alongside supply work and another job. Using evenings and Saturdays I now have 15-20 students a week at any given time (took just under 2 years to get established though and for word of mouth to kick in). If you can tutor from home you can accommodate more students and maximise profit. Also helps if you are DBS cleared. It is not a quick-fix but more than worth it in the long run!!

agathamorse likes this.
  14. july55

july55 New commenter

15. july55

july55 New commenter

Love to get the contact details for on-line tutoring. Sounds like a great option!