1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher expenses for child protection course?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by outofwork, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. I didn't realise there was a supply teachers' section here, so have copied and pasted my post from the opinions section for any further replies.
    Ten years ago, I was inundated with supply work; it is very different nowadays, with LSAs taking classes on a regular basis. I also have the constant worry of my CRB going out of date if I don't work for three months, which I would then have to renew at a personal cost of £59!
    I have been asked to attend a child protection course next week at one of the few schools I now do very limited work at. Don't want to blot my copy book by applying for expenses if I am not entitled, but does anyone know if I can? The school itself is nine miles away, and, of course, I am giving up an afternoon for no remuneration. I do not apply for petrol expenses when doing supply, but is this situation different?
    Schools generally are strapped for cash, but so am I!
    Thanks for reading. Would welcome any replies.
  2. Mrs-Pip

    Mrs-Pip New commenter

    Do it online, it's free and in the comfort of your own home!
  3. My LEA bungs on an extra £15 for admin costs - hence the price of £59.
    It seems to me I am paying for the privilege of little or no work!
    What's the point anymore?
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    My son did his basic CRB on-line (winter sports instructor) and it didn't need to go through an employer.
    I did my latest Enhanced CRB on-line but it had to go via my LA agency. I was not charged for any of it but it's becoming the norm, I think, for private agencies to take an adnin fee, making it worth their while to keep registering teachers even if they don't have enough work for all of them.
  5. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    The OPs query is not about the CRB, however, but about whether they can request expenses for attending a Safeguarding course at a school.
    It should be the responsibility of the agency employing a teacher to provide Safeguarding training every 3 years. Expenses are not part of the deal. I did mine on a Saturday and had the option of a twilight session too (LA agency where I am paid by the LA at proper teacher rates).

Share This Page