1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher crimes

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hemingfordgrey, Feb 3, 2012.

1. I've been doing supply for about 9 years and have finally decided to give up. Over the next week or so I'm going to blog all my wrongdoings while working in schools.
    All true but no names.

Please say if you think i'm being OTT.

http://whelk-stall.blogspot.com/

2. Just read your piece on the 'Racist Tie'. It is saddening to know that there are Heads out there who insist upon stupidity. I shall order my sheep tie straight away. Well done by the way Hemingfordgrey.

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

You have to be kidding right??? It looks like there's text under the sheep, or is that just meant to be grass? What did your agency say?

4. Same tie is available on Amazon.com. Inform that Head at once sir !

5. I have a tie just like that, I didn't photograph it but used an online image.

No. Having resolved to give up I'm just getting a few things off my chest.

6. I think we all could offer you some 'helpful' tales Hemingfordgrey. I wish you well with it and hope it also makes some people see (some) schools for what they are. Have you read 'On The Edge' by Charlie Carroll?

7. Hahaha that's the best story I've heard so far from a supply teacher!!! That headteacher basically defines everything that is wrong with education in this country today.

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

A competant Head would say something along the lines of "I realise thats a novelty tie but some students have seen a rasict theme in it, to keep the peace it might be best to avoid wearing it again". A sensible and wise compromise.
    Only a complete fool would blow up this incident to the extent this wally of a Head did. How stupid was the selection panel to give him the job.

9. Don't just blog it - write it out book-form and sell it on Amazon for Kindle - £0.99p a download. Word of mouth will get it round to a lot of teachers and you could be onto a nice little earner!

10. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I read the blog with interest and I'm appalled about the lad who was going to be on the olympic team! The first thing I thought was...if boxers get into a street brawl, they loose their licence to fight so not really teaching the boy anything productive for his future if he thinks he can get away with it!!!!
    The tie story... made me think about "Baa baa blue sheep"... which is what we have to sing now,,, I just avoid that rhyme altogether!
    It is sadly the sign of the times.

11. Boba Fett

Boba Fett New commenter

Do tell us what you will be doing instead hemingfordgrey

12. Very amusing. It made me remember a few of my own anecdotes. In certain establishments, idiocy seems to prevail. (among the staff)

13. I knew of a teacher who spent exam time pacing between tables....counting 'black bra' wearing girls. Shocking!

14. I do a lot of writing.

I raise a lot of my own meat and eggs.

I have invented/designed a kind of perpetual motion system which doesn't cost anything to run. (well my labour).

15. I've posted the main reason for my decision to give up:

http://whelk-stall.blogspot.com/

16. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I would not be comfortable with that worksheet if given it as a cover lesson and might be tempted to make some comment to the HOD before leaving the school.
    BUT the important point is that is NOT your worksheet and that you are not responsible. The fact that this action has been taken against you is deplorable and the School and its Head brought to account.
    Without a doubt I would be taking some legal advise over this with the aim of taking some counter action against the school since your professional status has been libelled.
    An absolute disgrace and I would not blame you for not wanting to go anywhere near a school again.

17. Agreed. However I know of one HOD in a city made famous by Walkers crisps and two dep heads in a county made famous by Shakespeare who have/and continue to lie, bully and commit fraud within their schools. Perhaps if enough books were published on the subject, these types will be got rid of?

18. I am thinking about publishing an account on Kindle.

19. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I do like reading your blog, hemingford. I'd stop short of enjoying it, if you know what I mean. Some of it is not comfortable reading, but I'm hoping that is your intention.
    The incident with the worksheet would be the final straw for a many people. Certainly take legal advice on your situation. The teacher that left the work should be ashamed of themselves.
    I might pass on the link to your blog to some teacher friends. Non-supply teachers. They might get a decent insight into what it's actually like to be a supply teacher.

20. Thanks emma. Don't forget that on that bad day there were four lessons that went according to plan in a week with nothing else negative to report.