1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply teacher access to computer

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Butterflychic, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi there
    I'm new to supply and have registered with a few agencies hoping they keep me on my toes!

I have one question tho (and probably many more to come) bt do supply teachers get access to laptops/PC's connected to whiteboards?
    I understand all teachers will have a login, as supply, are you provided with a login?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sometimes you may be, but never plan as if you will be.(We've even had IT teachers on this forum, who haven't been given access on occasions and you try teaching IT in a computer room without a login!)
    However, if there's a TA they may be able to help and I've even known children who've logged on using the teacher's code!

3. Ah brill, thanks :)

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Expect nothing of any use though. Supply accounts are often restricted or neglected to the point where you can't do much with them. Either that or they give you access to everything. On one assignment the account had been so badly configured I was able to monitor the screen output of every other computer in the school, including the Head's. On another job I wasn't given a log in at all, and I was standing in for the Head of ICT for a week. I ended up taking my own laptop in with a very long projector cable.

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

If you need access to a computer then the school will supply you with a supply login.
    If they refuse it could be because some schools are concerned about large numbers of different supply teachers logging into their network and then using memory sticks from home to upload the their own resources for use in the lesson. The IT department are concerned about viruses getting uploaded along with the lesson, although why they don't just pop down to PC World and buy a copy of Norton is beyond me.

6. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

When you turn up to school if the teacher is off sick there is usually a laptop there. If they are on a course or a meeting etc then they usually need it themseves.
    I've been a bit cheeky of late and asked for a spare one if there isn't one there and 9/10 I've got one! Most passwords are easy things on classroom computers though and a bit obvious!
    If you do get use of a spare one make sure that you can set it up yourself.
    Good Luck with your new adventure into the supply world!

7. In Primary the user name and password is often Teacher and Teacher! In Secondary you will get a visitor's log in if they want you to do registers on SIMS or Serco. If you are given paper registers you wont get any log-in. If you need to get on a computer to show a DVD or use your USB you can usually ask a pupil to log on using their pupil password, that will get the computer working but obviously no access to any teacher info.

8. Haha MisterFibble that's great! Although I'm secondary, I might make a note of them!

Thanks for all your help guys, added "is there a laptop and/or login?" to my list of questions to ask when I arrive at a school.

Great idea to ask a pupil to log on, would never have thought of it!

9. Hope it all works out for you!
    You may find that as you spend x minutes of faffing arround trying to get the pc/laptop/IWB to all talk to each other, a mini riot explodes behind you [​IMG]
    I usually go with a fip chart and/or a whiteboard and if a pc is set up, use it. If there's a techie around get said techie to do it. Some schools also block usb/flash drives. Alternatively you may come away with something unpleasant for your home pc. Always run a scan on anything that has been plugged into a school network before you plug it into your home pc.

10. I specifically bought a netbook with the port to hook up to projectors - worst comes to the worst I can hook that up to the IWB projector part and use at least powerpoints (with no linking into the school network for virus nasties).

11. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

I used to hate runing around trying to find someone to log me in!!! These tips would have been very useful for when i was a supply teacher

12. As others have said, schools can be incredibly variable on this and it's probably best to expect the worst so you can cope if you have no computer access.
    I was in one school for 5 weeks without getting access to staff email or anything, although the Head of Department did eventually let me have a spare laptop so I could use the projector/whiteboard.
    In another school, where I was just doing a half-day's cover, I wasn't given log-in details, but the teacher I was covering for had set work which involved watching a video clip on the computer. So I had to get another member of staff to log me in, which wasn't ideal.
    Other schools have given me a 'Supply Staff Handbook' on arrival, giving the username and password, and even screenshots of how to use SIMS to take a register, in case someone doesn't know.
    Common usernames/passwords I've come across are:
    supply
    supply1
    teacher1
    supplystaff

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Other common variations are replacing the "s" in supply with a capital "S" or a "5"
    Another favourite is using a "!" instead of a "1".
    The most unusual one I've come across is "Supply Teachers are the best thing that has ever happened in Education and the whole system would crumble without them".
    OK that was a fib[​IMG]