1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply TA work - how often? Pay rates?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jade2606, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Hey all :)

I have arranged to register with a recruitment agency in 2 weeks who have said I can start supply TA work as soon as my CRB is done (obviously this won't be til September now!) I was wondering if anyone has experience of day-to-day supply work?

What is the pay like? And do you tend to get lots of work every week or do you sometimes get weeks at a time with no work at all? The agency lady said most of their supply TAs work 5 days a week and earn a full time wage but I'm worried I won't haha

2. Hey all :)

I have arranged to register with a recruitment agency in 2 weeks who have said I can start supply TA work as soon as my CRB is done (obviously this won't be til September now!) I was wondering if anyone has experience of day-to-day supply work?

What is the pay like? And do you tend to get lots of work every week or do you sometimes get weeks at a time with no work at all? The agency lady said most of their supply TAs work 5 days a week and earn a full time wage but I'm worried I won't haha

3. It depend on where you are.
    Firstly though, you should have agreed your rate with the agency when you signed up.
    Round here, it depends on you level, supply TAs get anything fro £45-60 Per day.
    I generally work full time, but often get quiet weeks just after the school hols.
    Good luck
    Wren

4. I haven't spoken to her in depth yet, I'm going in to register on the 19th! She said we'll discuss pay etc then. I'm Level 3 so she did say I'll get "the higher pay" whatever that may be :D I'm so excited!

5. Also, how does it work if you do single days? Like do you get notified a few days in advance or can you be phoned early morning and go straight to a school asap? Not that that's a problem for me, I'm just curious!

Do you do supply work permanently or using it as a bridge between contracted work? Just wondering if it is something that can be done long term or if it's better as a temporary thing between jobs. Sorry for all the questions!

6. SometimesI get notice for work, sometimes they phone me on the morning. I get a lot of repeat work, and do long term cover for illnesses etc.
    From Sept I have a year long contract at a school I do supply at. (I had to apply and have an interview). If I hadn't have got this job, I would have kept doing supply as this is the only school I have been to that I would want to work at very long term!
    Supply is flexible and has worked brilliantly for me. I definately would not have got a L4 job just over a year after doing my L4 Certificate if I had not got the extra experience on supply.
    Good luck
    Wren