1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply rates of pay?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LittleBrownBear, Jun 4, 2019.

1. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Hi,

I am just starting out as supply (finishing 1st July) and despite working almost everyday I am £1000 a month worse off as my daily rate is £89 with on agency or £112 with another. I have 15 years experience and I feel that I am being paid less than an NQT. I am really struggling financially- I had to work all half term just so I had money coming in.

Can I bring this up with the agencies and ask for more or is the daily rate the daily rate and I have to get on with it?

Going to be honest- I will be really glad to be back in one place, in my own classroom with my own class- supply is not for me!

Thanks

LBB

pepper5 likes this.
  2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Agencies will pay you as little as they can get ways with!

It is up to you to work out how far financially you can call their bluff!

3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"
    Can I bring this up with the agencies and ask for more or is the daily rate the daily rate and I have to get on with it? "

Agencies have a simple aim; get the school to pay as much as possible whilst paying the supply teacher as little as possible.

If you even have to ask whether it is okay to raise daily rates with an agency, I'd forget it. You sound like you will believe any nonsense told to you and deserve everything you get. They will continue to ker-ap on you from an ever greater height.

Enjoy.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. at64

at64 New commenter

You also have to remember if you are doing daily supply you have a lot less responsibility, no planning, little marking, no paperwork etc. That's why we don't get paid as much. If you do long term then you have to renegotiate your pay depending what responsibilities you are expected to undertake.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Disagree with this, you're applying common sense and that has no place in the Glorious World of Supply.

It solely depends on how desperate the school and the agency are. Unfortunately only the agency knows the true state of the market which makes any haggling more of a guess. However you can feed off the desperation of the agency (the agent will already have promised the school and can't default on that too many times or delay too much).

I'm mainly a long-term bunny but Mrs C does quite a bit of day-to-day and is always pushing.
    1. Keep it polite
      And always apologetic, "I'm sorry but I can't quite accept it"
    2. Try flattery
      "I appreciate you'll have got the best deal you could but...."
    3. Keep the agent talking
      The longer the call the less time there is for the agent to hang up and find another
    4. Only ask about pay at the very end
      Just Brinkmanship really.
    5. Stay polite and grateful, even if it goes ****-up.
      More chance the agent will call you again tomorrow
    This puts her at around £130-£150 per day even if it is via an umbrella company. Of course it may mean less phone calls but then when the agent rings it is clear that they've used up the cheapies and are half-accepting the hike in pay before any word is said.

DISCLAIMER: Both Cazorlas know the mortgage is paid off and a few days unemployment is not a major problem. Negotiating is a lot easier if you can put up with it failing occasionally.

FrauRussell and agathamorse like this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

But if you share your rate of pay with every supply you meet then you can get an idea of what you are 'worth'

FrauRussell and agathamorse like this.
  7. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I'm M6 and on day to day got between £110 and £120. Supply never pays as well as permanent.

8. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

In secondary, yes. Primary, however, not so much...

9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I’m on £130 per day doing Primary supply. That’s what the agency offered me when I signed up with them.

I seem to be doing ok with that from what people have said.

BetterNow, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  10. HS65

HS65 New commenter

Managed UPS3 and M6 on a couple of long term placements.

Day to day proved more tricky ..... £110 - £135 (the latter through an umbrella ompany though). I'll be workinmg on this again soon as I'm still on long term until summer holiday.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  11. emmajay2015

emmajay2015 New commenter

£125 for Primary supply work. I was only on M2 at my last school so this seems pretty good! I was offered £134 if I went though an umbrella agency but I made the decision to stick with being paid direct.

agathamorse likes this.