1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply Rate change

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by albertdog, May 13, 2011.

1. I had one 'promise' of one and a half weeks work that was 'dutch-auctioned' down from £130 pd to £80 pd, but then never materialised.

2. Schools could pay the proper rate, in England, as other parts of the world. If supply could afford to turn down cut price work, schools would pay the proper rate.

3. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

With so many schools now going Academy and not governed by National Pay and Conditions ... they can do pretty much what they like (well that is what is seems like) and of course our Agencies will want to continue in business and therefore we will be under pressure to accept less. Too low and it will eventually meet up with Instructors Pay, any lower than that and it will be matched to Cover Supervisor and HLTA ............. with AWR soon to be in operation we will be lucky if we have assignments at all.

4. AWR could stimulate the LEA registered work.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Academies are already dictating cut price rates to agencies. My concern is that once the Academies multiply and start forming consortia to buy in services, this practice will become increasingly common.

It would be nice to think that established supply staff who've been getting long term work elsewhere might turn such work down, but I can't see newcomers thinking the same way, especially if they're unemployed NQTs desperate for any sort of teaching work.

6. Try googling "Ranstad / profits"-
    makes interesting reading.

7. OMG I'm glad it's not just me. My agency was TP too!! They wanted me to take a £5 paycut for 'some' schools because they said they couldn't afford the prices. Last week I met another supply from the agency who's already on less than me and they were fed the same line! Naughty! I have heard that TP are actually very expensive for school sto use and their teachers get paid some of the lowest daily rates. i think they may be pulling a fast one to make more money. As a result I try not to use them much and refuse to work for the lower rate using my other agencies instead.

8. I had exactly the same line said to me! I just think it's cheeky to book me for things+then ask to pay me less afterwards. I refused point blank for these as the bookings had already been made but I also don't want to end up with no work. I plan to ask the head if she is now only offering to pay less for supply and this is why. I know TP make a profit anyway, and that's fair enough as it's a business, but you can't just go and change things that are agreed in a signed contract because they feel a bit greedier! Sadly if others are willing to work for less, I'll end up with no work :(

I had thought I was doing ok for pay as I am on £100 (before any possible discounts for 'some' schools). Am I stupid in thinking that's an ok rate? I am an NQT. I know some pay a little more and others pay less but I thought that was an appropriate amount.

9. TP also tried to reduce my rate by 12.5% last week. I refused to accept their 'kind offer' and the manager agreed to keep my current rate for my regular schools. I have spoken to other supplies in schools since then and they have also had the phone call . I turned down another derisory offer at a school that I have not been to for a long time and the rep used the words "Why not, I thought X knocked you down the other day". Nice. I checked with a user-friendly school head and the rate they pay for me is the same; it appears as though it is the agency that is behind this move, trying to improve it's margins at the teacher's expense. I suspect the overall amount of supply has reduced and is therefore damaging agency income as well. Also TP was up for sale last year and maybe new owners are trying to squeeze more profits out of the firm? Dodgy times we live in - they'll be coming after the full time pay, conditions and pensions next. That's the free market for you.

10. They are not reducing the rates for schools.
    Schools are now employing direct much more, especially primary schools. Sec schools using a cover supervisor to handle supply are a bit slow on this as yet.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've just gone online to fill in my timesheet for today and someone at the LA agency has done it for me and entered a lower number of hours than I was booked for and worked! It was only a part day and I did an 85 mile round trip so I'm not losing out on the extra 30 minutes at M6 pay.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Apparently, according to the school secretary where I do most of my supply, LA now 'round down' rather than 'up'.
    So an odd array of 2hrs 10 min + 3 hrs 25 mins + 5 hrs 10 min would be 'rounded' to just 10 hrs as none of the 'odd mins' are more than 1/2 hr ! Makes a mockery of having to write '<u>actual</u> hrs & mins worked' doesn't it?

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My timesheet allows for putting in hours and minutes to the nearest 15 mins. Rounding down would would still give me more than they've entered. Making a fuss about half an hour seems petty but it's actually &pound;16 and would cover the petrol and depreciation.