1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply-pregnancy-benefits

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by blossomgirl, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Wondering if anyone has any experience of being pregnant while doing supply work?
    Were you able to get any maternity benefits and how easy was it to arrange?
    I've been working as a supply teacher for a year. Happily expecting! From what I can work out, as I've worked with same agency for over 26 wks and have been paying NI, I am actually entitled to some form of maternity benefits.
    However I don't know if the agency would pay this or the state? Or even if the agency will bother as they don't pay you if you don't work and you don't get sick pay etc.
    I'm basically expecting to receive nothing and anything I do get will be a bonus. However as I've worked regularly since leaving uni this seems a tad unfair!
    If anyone can shed any light on this or offer any advice, it would be graetfully received. [​IMG]

2. Wondering if anyone has any experience of being pregnant while doing supply work?
    Were you able to get any maternity benefits and how easy was it to arrange?
    I've been working as a supply teacher for a year. Happily expecting! From what I can work out, as I've worked with same agency for over 26 wks and have been paying NI, I am actually entitled to some form of maternity benefits.
    However I don't know if the agency would pay this or the state? Or even if the agency will bother as they don't pay you if you don't work and you don't get sick pay etc.
    I'm basically expecting to receive nothing and anything I do get will be a bonus. However as I've worked regularly since leaving uni this seems a tad unfair!
    If anyone can shed any light on this or offer any advice, it would be graetfully received. [​IMG]

3. I received maternity pay after a year of supply work but I was working directly for the school not via an agency. I simply wrote a letter to the council asking if I was entitled to anything. They replied with details. Not sure how an agency would react...maybe not giving you work in your qualifying period so you didn't get pay??...so would possibly wait until as late as possible for telling them.

Sorry it's not much help but hope it shows that you can get something if on supply.

4. I have worked on supply while pregnant twice due to relocating and not being able to get a job. I rang my local council to find if I was entiltled to any maternity pay, filled in the form but hadn;t worked anough weeks so just got the state maternity pay. Found the form by googling and filled in and I think I had to send off a months worth of pay checks. This was five years ago so might have changed! I worked until I was about 7 months pregnant as I found bending down tricky and it was a very hot summer! At the time I was only working in a few schools so the teachers knew me and were quite helpful in that they always asked if I was comfortable doing P.E and playtimes in the heat which I was perfectly able to do! I felt stopping supply at 7 months pregnant was the right decision at the time for me as I didnt want to turn up at a school and not be up for the job! I think it all depends on how well you are feeling! I was working with an agency and finding work myself. I then took a year out and went back to supply. Good luck with it all!

5. You can claim maternity allowance from the job centre if the agency don't pay up. I am 3 months pregnant so been looking into it. I can also recommend if you are ill you can claim ema if you et a sick note at 67 is per week. I have had to claim for last half term being off sick with hyperemesis. All supply could claim this if off for a while with sick note. Maternity allowance is 127 ish per week for 39 weeks as long as you have paid your NI for 13 weeks for EDD. I am self employed through my agency so have no rights and just lost out ont AWR pay rise and rights as I was off 6 weeks after Xmas. I should have clocked up enough by the time I finish in the summer though. I am due 1st sep and an to work til end of summer term if I can as your mat allowance starts from when you want it to and I can't work longer due to summer hols but not sure I want to either.