1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply planning.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Sb26, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Hi, I am new to supply teaching (have spent two afternoons in two different schools) and as an NQT I feel quite stuck. I feel like I am struggling with my planning, as I always want to go prepared with some work/lesson plans but find this really tricky.
    Does anyone have any advice? Also if you have any advice on Learning objectives this would be helpful as I feel like I have forgotten everything!

Thanks in advance!

2. Hi, I am new to supply teaching (have spent two afternoons in two different schools) and as an NQT I feel quite stuck. I feel like I am struggling with my planning, as I always want to go prepared with some work/lesson plans but find this really tricky.
    Does anyone have any advice? Also if you have any advice on Learning objectives this would be helpful as I feel like I have forgotten everything!

Thanks in advance!

3. laguna343

laguna343 New commenter

I just have things planned that I know can be altered to fit different age groups. Really broad general things, like PSHE topics for the afternoon, circle time games etc. Get yourself some really simple maths and literacy lessons that focus on key skills. I also steal good lessons from schools I've been to. But there have been very few occasions where I've taught my own work as usually there is planning left.

4. I remember feeling the same when I started out. It can be so difficult planning for a class of children you've never met! I always do some literacy, reading a short story and comprehension to follow always works well. Or if you know what the theme is get them to do a piece of writing associated with that.Easter/spring activities, acrostic poems, short stories etc. Or i focus on some grammar work, there is a load of resources on primaryresources.com, I get the majority of my work from there. Also pick up any worksheets/resources as you go from school to school, they'll always come in handy.

5. Thank you so much for your replies, they are really appreciated! I have managed to plan a simple maths lesson - basically focusing on subtraction; i.e. going over the methods used and attempting problems/calculations. I've also seen on here about the mind map activity which seems good and can be adapted to most ages and abilities. I haven't thought about Easter/Spring activities yet so will use that idea and add that to my folder thanks! The comprehension is also good.

I have been lucky so far as all the lessons have been planned with the IWB flipcharts (which was really nice!) and managed to pick up a literacy idea for supply teaching that focuses on grammar and used a bbc bitesize game called trapped - the chn really enjoyed it and it took up 1/2 the lesson as there was lots of talking points!

I was in a school today and the chn were lovely this morning but then really struggled with behaviour in the afternoon as they had group work activities and just seemed to do what they wanted! So think I need to focus on upper KS2 behaviour strategies as well!

Thanks again for your replies!

6. Hi, I have a range of books which i bought from WHSmith, from reception to year 6 - mathematics and English. These books have worksheets and answers for teachers. For science I have a foundation stage book, Key stage 1 and key stage 2 book. For other subjects I have downloaded the QCA schemes of work. I have all these books in my 'bag to go'. So when I get supply work I just take the bag and go to any school always readily prepared as I have been to some school with no planning and also sometimes I have been put in a different year group than the one initially given. Hope this makes sense and also helps you.

7. Forgot to mention as well. In terms of behaviour management I usually use the happy face and sad face. Then give children rewards eg for reception to year 4, I tend to give stickers for best behaviour. For year 5 and 6 I give pencils at the end of the day for the best group of children. When lining up to assembly in the morning, I tell them to line up as I call their name on the register. That way by the time I finish calling all the children's names they would have lined up.
    I also carry a movie dvd, a story book with a cd (you can get these from the library). In terms of games, I tend to play heads down thumbs up.

8. Hi, I keep thinking about bits and pieces of information. Sorry about that. I want to say that you should also follow the behaviour policy within the school at all times unless there is no behaviour structure. For easter activities go to mr maker's webpage on cbeebies or just google mr maker. I once made an exciting easter activity with the kids. Children wove a basket and made an easter egg or chick to go into the basket. All teachers wowed the display as it was 3D.

9. Hi Bethany, thank you for your reply. These sound like really good ideas. I think I will purchase some books from WHSmith, I have a few already but will add to my collection. Downloading the QCA schemes of work is another really good idea that I will use so thank you - I really didn't think of doing that! Like you I've started keeping a range of stuff all in one bag as it is soo much easier and keeps me organised. With regards to the 'happy face and sad face' is this something you just draw on the board and discuss? and write the chn's names underneath? I've got a treasure chest that I use for maths superstars and other lessons, this includes little 'party bag' toys like bouncy balls, key rings etc that the chn seem to like. It just doesn't seem to work with the older chn I have. I haven't actually seen any behaviour policies in the schools that I have been in but do ask the class teacher/person in charge what happens with regards to behaviour and what is in place. Mr Maker is great! My little girl loves him and he has some great ideas so will have a look on there and see what I can pinch!

Thanks again for your help it is really appreciated it. Can I ask how long you have been supplying for and if your an NQT or have completed your NQT year? Also, do you know if the 16 month period for NQT's as supply's has changed to 5 years as I have read different things places and feeling confused!