1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Supply placement destroying my confidence

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by macnmacn, Feb 16, 2020.

1. macnmacn

macnmacn New commenter

Hi just seeking other perspectives on my situation I am currently on a long term science supply placement which is not working out. The workload is extreme including 162 mock papers to mark with a fortnight deadline and being given 9 students to mentor that I am expected to see for 20 minutes a fortnight. I do not teach these students and have no information about them other than their names. Also 5 hours of mandatory online training, no notice observations with no feedback, in addition to drop in observations, a heavy expectation for general marking, parents evenings, mandatory training sessions I am not paid for and frequent parent evenings that go on until 7.30pm
    In addition HOD told extremely disruptive students in my presence that he got where they were coming from being taught by a series of supply teachers but he would be teaching them in September and they would have 'proper staff'. Has also agreed with students who have complained about me and shouted at me in a room full of staff when I asked him not to do this.
    He did apologise but the damage is done with that particular group who are a major problem for other staff.
    I desperately want to get out of there but have agreed to work until the 17th of July and feel guilty about not keeping my word and also sorry for nice kids who have to put up with appalling disruption and an endless round of teachers who come and go.
    Supply agency really unsupportive.

2. handee2

handee2 New commenter

It sounds to me that you have been undermined and that, because of this, your effectiveness as a teacher is being undervalued. I would tell said HOD that he has brought this situation on himself and made your continuing work at the school untenable, Sounds harsh? What is more important? Teaching is hard enough with the support of colleagues and the acceptance of the students whom you are teaching that you know what you are doing. It becomes virtually impossible when you have neither.
    The supply agency are going to be unhelpful because their client is the school but, at the end of the day, that is not your issue. You have the right to feel positive about your work in school and your well being is more important. You could give a period of notice if you feel generous but you can be certain that the school would not hesitate to send you packing if it suited them. Perhaps you should think about working for another supply agency?

WitchFingers likes this.
  3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Get your coat and bag and go. You aren't being paid for this. You've got all the downside of perm but none of the financial rewards. I suspect the school is in a lot of trouble, you can't rescue it.

It won't take you long to get over the guilt, a good nights sleep would be the start. You're having the micky taken and your sense of responsibility is keeping you there. With respect, if they wanted to see the back of you they would have absolutely no hesitation in telling you not to come in tomorrow, or even just telling your agency and having the message fed back.

You won't be paid over the summer, but you will have taken on all the workload and will be exhausted. The great beauty of supply is the ability to move on if somewhere isn't right, and this place isn't right for you. It won't change - do yourself a favour and go. You must be worn out.

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

this is the trap, emotional blackmail.

You owe them nothing. They haven't kept their word to you, have they. Didn't they offer you a chance to teach in a reasonable environment? They have not kept their end of the bargain.

And you are doing the "nice kids" no favours by colluding with a system that puts them in this situation. Far better to send a message to the powers that be that something need to fundamentally change, and you send that message by not tolerating the intolerable.

Leave! good luck x

5. install

install Star commenter

You need to never go back - that is the advantage of Supply because you get to pick and choose. Stop being a MUG - which is what the school are taking you for imho.

I also get the impression that the students and the school are desperate to find a scapegoat eg YOU. So I'd be going before they get rid of you first and you end up the loser all round.

You do not get paid for this nonsense so feel no guilt. It ain't your fault and the kids/sch are already turning on you. So let Supply agency know urgently you are not happy with the school and YOU take charge. In the long term look at working with a more supportive agency too.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  6. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

I totally agree with everything said above.
    When I was on supply the schools were so happy they actually had someone who knew the topics and was able to deliver the curriculum.
    Are you a member of a union if not join and get advice.
    If you want to stay give the agency a list of what you will and will not do.

WitchFingers likes this.